Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.2.1

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Now that bbPress 2.2 is out, please be sure to log any bugs you find that are specific to bbPress 2.2 on our bug tracker, setting the version to 2.2.

We’ll be keeping our eyes open for anything that requires quick fixing, while starting to plan out the dev cycle for bbPress 2.3.

Thanks y’all!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)

• I.g.C.
    Participant

@igc-1

Done, upgraded immediately. Everything seems to work fine but i can’t see the theme selector in main settings.. is it normal or is a bug? I’d love to find it back cuz I need to set it back from default theme compat to twentyten..

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Don’t know what this is caused by just yet, but after upgrading on my staging site when a logged in user tries to look at his profile, the tabs won’t load to go from ‘Profile’ to ‘Activity’ etc.

Looking at someone else’s profile loads just fine though, including the BBPress ‘forums’ tab and sub menus.

Have tried with all other plugins turned off but still get the same issue.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Actually, this IS a plugin issue. Will report back soon.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Narrowed it down to a plugin that wouldn’t activate for some reason through bulk activation in the backend. It would only activate when you activated it manually on its own.

BB Press works perfectly, although I don’t see the old twenty ten drop down.

I use theme compat so it’s not an issue, but has that feature been dropped now?

xurxog
    Participant

@xurxog

Disaster!
    I upgraded to the new version and now can’t view the forum. If I use the direct link to a public forum it let me watch this subforum but not private subforums.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Have you gone into the back end under settings___>forums and re-saved the options?

Might need a refresh!

xurxog
    Participant

@xurxog

I tried that but it did not work

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@xurxog – Did you customize your roles and capabilities with some plugin (like Members?) If so, it’s possible your user capabilities are mucked up somehow.

coppi
    Participant

@coppi

I have a similar problem: can’t view private/hide forum, while public forum don’t have problem.
    If i change status ( private/hide to public ) i can see forum.
    Don’t customize roles or use a plugin.

ps: sorry for my bad English.

xurxog
    Participant

@xurxog

@johnjamesjacoby Yes I’m using Members and User Role Editor pluggins :S

dik
    Participant

@dik

Hi, thanks for nice forum software!

I have a question – how could I customize bbPress forum’s theme in the new bbPress 2.2?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@xurxog – To the best of my knowledge, neither of those plugins includes a cleaner script to revert user capabilities back to normal, so you’re going to need to dream up a solution.

The reason this is a problem now, and not before, is bbPress has moved entirely to a dynamic roles system, even ahead of WordPress core (which in the future will move to something like what bbPress has now.)

dik
    Participant

@dik

xurxog – I am using Amember with bbPress and everything working fine with 2.2.1

xurxog
    Participant

@xurxog

@johnjamesjacoby Ok, thanks

Alain RONK
    Participant

@alain-ronk

Hello !

I uploaded th 2.2 and for me, all is ok.

But, I have a question :
    Why any visitor can open a topic and write a response, while only REGISTERED users (username + password) will have access to the box for reply notification by mail?

I would like the mail notification is ok for all users, registered and not registered users.
    To date, no response obtained in any forum, and no plugin found …

Is it possible to have a new version with this option in the panel settings, plaese ?

Best regards
    Alain
    My Website : http://www.modelisme-racer.fr

brspart
    Participant

@brspart

Hello.

I need some help.
    when I upgraded to version 2.2.1 my forum was link this http://db.tt/WO0W0n3q
    how do I solve this problem?

Thanks
    Bruno

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Hey James,

Looks like this new role capabilities change is going to cause me some pretty big issues, wondered if you could advise.

I use S2Member on my site (probably the best and most supported membership plugin).

It creates S2 Member roles for paid members away from the standard roles in WP.

For standard subscribers the forums are accessible no problem, however for anyone with a paid S2Member role, they can’t even see the root index of the forums which is /forums.

It returns a 404.

I can’t ditch s2member as it is the heart of my site and controls access to everything.

There are thousands of sites out the using this, any advice on how we can make them play nicely?

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Okay and I’ve also got some weird things happening too:

– If a member signs up for a free account on my site, they are automatically assigned the regular WP ‘subscriber’ role. These members can use the forums normally, and when they now post, they have the word ‘member’ assigned under their avatar.

– If a user pays for membership and gets an S2 Member level, they can’t see any forums, they just get a 404.

Now if I go into these members profiles in the backend, i can assign their ‘forum role’ from the drop down to something like ‘Participant’.

They still keep their S2 level, but can now also use forums.

1. Why can’t we assign them as ‘members’ like normal FREE users who are assigned that tag. It doesn’t appear in the forum role drop down menu in the edit user screen.

2. Bizarrely I have a couple of accounts that although are FREE accounts with the usual WP ‘subscriber’ role assigned, they can’t actually post.

They can see the forums, type a response and post it, but it doesn’t appear anywhere.

Pretty bizarre. Would be cool to get a good explanation of how this new dynamic role process works.

Cheers JJ 🙂

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Assigning a forum role of ‘participant’ to the free members that for some reason cant post fixes the issue.

If everyone could be assigned a ‘participant’ role as default that might be the way forward with this?

Not quite sure where the role named ‘member’ is being assigned from to my free members in the forums, as it doesn’t seem to be selectable role in the drop down for forum role.

I have ‘Participant’ set as the default role which I think it was preset to in the forums options now.

I notice the tick box to assign this role to all new signups, but a box to assign it to existing members except admins would be cool.

I’m not sure what the best way is, but I’m guessing there will be an awful lot of sites breaking if they do this upgrade.

Would love to hear some suggestions.

Not to sound ungrateful though, I love BBPress. I’ll gladly help test everything on my staging site until we can work it out for everyone.

🙂

Sam Rohn
    Participant

@sam-rohn

i am building a site using bbpress & s2member, but i am also using user role editor plugin to apply custom capabilities to s2 member roles, so far this has worked fine, but i have not updated this test site to bbpress 2.2 yet

ross, have you tried inspecting your s2 member roles with something like user role editor, members, or role scoper ? this should allow you to customize you roles w bbpress permissions as needed

also, is there a clear explanation anywhere about just what this new role system in bbpress 2.2 is and what it means for sites with custom capabilities ?

sam

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Hey Sam, I use custom caps built straight nto S2member and just assign different caps all to various s2level1 packages, so only have FREE subscribers at level 0 and paid members at level 1.

The majority of the free subscribers can access and use forums in bbpress 2.2, but anyone with level 1 access hits a 404 regardless of accessing the forum directory or topics.

Bizarrely the forum tab on profiles of these level 1 members will show their threads.

Some free subscribers set at level 0 can access forums but can’t post. You can submit a reply but it doesn’t show front or backend, and yet trying to submit the same reply again straight after gives you the duplicate post error message although NOTHING got posted anyway.

What are the role editor plugins going to enable me to do?

I’ve never used them. Would love to get to the bottom of why some level 0 members can post and yet a user with an identical role can’t?

Sam Rohn
    Participant

@sam-rohn

plugins like user role editor allow granular customization of user roles & capabilities, an important feature for cms/forum systems which wordpress/bbpress is otherwise lacking, google “granular permissions” for more info

so you would use it to inspect the permissions for your s2 or other roles and it should be a matter of just checking the boxes of the capabilities you want your roles to have, unless something has changed in bbp 2.2 ?

if you are careful it will not change (unless you tell it to) or break anything in my experience, but any changes made to role permissions are made to the db so proceed somewhat cautiously, and it is always possible to change things back if you kept screen shots of original role settings in plugin window –

but i’m still not sure exactly what the new role system is about at all, are there any reference links on this ?

sam

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Cheers Sam, I’ll check that out. I’ve not seen any documentation about this new system yet.

I’m guessing there is a good reason for it, but would be nice to turn it off and revert if it’s going to cause big issues with any site that has altered roles (of which there will be a high percentage).

Sam Rohn
    Participant

@sam-rohn

wordpress & bbpress definitely need better role/capability/permissions management, some 3rd party plugins can fill the gap for now, and i imagine the new system will be a step in the right direction, but we need some details on the new system  🙂

sam

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

What’s really bizarre is, I have installed the user roles plugin just now and examined user capabilities in both the plugin menu and directly in the DB looking at the capability entry string.

The free user that can’t currently post, has the EXACT same capabilities as those free users who CAN post.

There are no differences, and yet this one user account that can’t post seems to be able to write a reply and submit it, the slug in the URL adapts as it should and increases the post number in the slug by one, but it then doesn’t show the post, and it doesn’t appear front or backend.

SO BIZARRE!

If I change their ‘Forum Role’ in the drop down at the bottom of their edit profile dashboard screen to ‘Participant’, then they CAN post normally.

I shouldn’t have to do this though.

Anyone have any kind of clue what else it could be?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar