Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 1.1 – Maybe Soon!

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Just an update on what’s going on Trac – bbPress 1.0.3 milestone has 3 tickets left (all the tickets have patches and 1 depends on a BackPress ticket), while 1.1 milestone has 4 tickets left (2 have patches, and 2 need patches). There’s also another BackPress ticket that needs to be fixed (which also has a patch). That means that bbPress 1.1 is very near to its release!

How can you help?

1. Checkout a copy of bbPress trunk version via SVN and test it.
    2. Test the patches of the open tickets.
    3. Contribute patches to the tickets which don’t have one.

What’s new in bbPress 1.1?

1. Email subscriptions
    2. Loginless posting
    3. Better administration of posts and topics
    4. Better search and statistics
    5. Bug fixes. Some critical ones are – #1261 (RSS feeds errors), #1146 (faster recount functions), #1150 (undelete topic error).
    6. Better tags administration (if #1243 goes in)

Some tickets that missed 1.1 milestone are #960 (better user administration) and #1277 (kakumei cleanup) even though they had patches but could cause errors as they were huge changes and needed more testing. They might get into 1.2 though.

Cross Posted Here on the bbdevel blog – http://bbdevel.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/bbpress-1-point-1-maybe-soon/

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Rescued from Akismet

Arturo
    Participant

@arturo84

really good news, in the weekend i begins the test!

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Great news, thanks to everybody involved!

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

@gautam – Haven’t tested this yet, but great work. Glad to see some movement.

Silly question, but it’s possible to turn off anonymous, loginless posting right?

Looking forward to it!

So where is now bbPress 1.1 Alpha? I need full alpha with all files.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

can a release candidate be put together for general testing?

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

woah woah woah (sweet child of mine)

There’s no doubt we’re doing exceptionally well in how far we’ve come with this, especially given that the Project Lead left 4 months ago, but we’re not anywhere near that stage.

1.0 had 10 alphas (though pre-Alpha6 was massively different to Alpha7-10).

It had no beta’s. It had 1 RC which was turned into an actual release 7 days later with minimal bug fixes, and we’ve been stuck with these bugs for a year because of it.

If you want to help, and it’s awesome you do, please download the latest nightly build from the Trunk and report bugs like mad.

There should be no real alpha/beta/rc packages until we’ve squashed all the existing tickets (possible exception to backPress reliant ones).

The moer bugs we find now (in the nightly builds) the more confident we’ll all be in the Alphas that we put out there :)

And Gautam, excellent work once again.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Lol.. thanks

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

More updates

bbPress 1.0.3 milestone now only has 1 ticket left, which depends on this BackPress ticket), while 1.1 milestone has 2 tickets left (both need patches). There’s also another BackPress ticket that needs to be fixed (has patch).

Also, there would be no tag administration in 1.1.

And just for a note, matt also committed a patch about 11 hours back – [2450]

chengdu-living
    Participant

@chengdu-living

I can’t wait until email subscriptions arrive!! This will be awesome.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I can’t wait until email subscriptions arrive!! This will be awesome.

Indeed it was, 2 years ago when we had it as a working plugin.

Gautam,

Given that we’re waiting on BackPress to update, and that the bug in question hasn’t had any response/update from any AutoMattic employees in 6 months, and isn’t included in the next Backpress release… how crucial is it that this bug is fixed?

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Actually,

Don’t we package and include BackPress with every release?

Why are we reliant on the BackPress team at all, can’t we just apply the patches to BackPress as we release them for testing?

If thats teh case, cant we get an alpha for 1.0.3 out the door soon? Maybe ask people to test it and get a few bugs in while waiting on 1.1 development?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

BackPress is included as an external. I don’t have the ability to update the code here. I can just check in code to bbPress. Then, on some sort of cron schedule, the code that runs bbpress.org/forums is updated. It’s not nightly, as evidenced by the fact that this site is still running r2441 (actually, I think r2442: I tagged it wrong.) So, maybe it’s not automatically done, but the job fails and someone needs to do it manually.

So, I can’t update the BackPress code that is running on this site. I could fix my local installation, and you could fix yours, but I can’t fix it here.

If you want to see what’s included externally, you can download a trunk release from the bottom of a trac page and see that Akismet and BackPress are both missing. When I check out a copy with subversion, those externals are checked out. But I can’t check in to either of those projects.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

We can add the same code (the one I posted in the patch) in bbPress, but BackPress would be a better place for that. Anyone should contact westi as he can fix it.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Ah sorry Chris, I wasn’t clear.

What I meant was this:

• We want/need people to test a year’s worth of code in 1.0.3
    • Why not download the latest version.
    • Apply the the patch to that downloded code.
    • Put in a zip file.
    • Rename Zip file “bbpress-1.0.3-alpha.zip”
    • Upload to website
    • Ask people to download and test.

We know we can’t release 1.0.3 into the wild given that it’s whole implementation is questioned by the bugs in 1.1; but it’ll at least give us a heads up on a year’s worth of bugs.

mr_pelle
    Participant

@mr_pelle

No tickets left!! Woo hoo!! =D

Yes, but…

Milestone: 1.0.3

3 months late (04/30/10)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

So what? I put that milestone in there after plucking it from thin air. It is what it is. At the time, it seemed reasonable with the amount of tickets we had open. Then we added more tickets. And we fixed them. I think any ticket created after 1257 was after I changed the milestone to April 30.

As the trac says:

“Due date is only to force the order of milestones and does not reflect any actual release schedule.”

So will we get nice avatars like this forum has?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Marius, that is a theme’s work – not of bbPress.

Oh :(

I wish all us other users could have it like this.

I view this support forum as sort of the default showcase for what bbpress is.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

In order to help get 1.1 out of the door (or actually to help get 1.0.3 out the door before the decree came down to not release 1.0.3) a large number of useful and needed Tickets in Trac were bumped to 1.5 ( now, “future release” – the name initself laughable ;-] ).

So I’ve moved a number (about 1/3) of those tickets back.

I never got avatars working in the first place.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar