Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Are there any responsive Bbpress-templates to buy?

• Scrooge3
    Participant

@scrooge3

Hello!

I seems a little bit strange but my searches of a responsive bbpress-theme with very nice design that is available for buying were useless, I couldn`t find any. Who knows any sites or online-strores where a person like me can buy a responsive bbpress-theme to avoid very long adjustment from the scraps.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

bbpress themes are just wordpress themes now.

so you could just any wordpress theme

if you really want to pay you can go follow this link below

i already searched bbpress so all you have to do is check all of these in the list.

http://themeforest.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=bbpress

j0n4h
    Participant

@j0n4h

First of all, those are not bbpress specific themes. The the great majority of WP themes offer very limited customization or design focus to improve the functionality or aesthetic of bbpress. In addition, the top results on themeforest for bbpress have broken live demos, and the second link suggested isn’t even a live website.

Thus, this only proves to further this individual’s post. I am in the same situation. Anything I want to do that is available in any other basic forum tool has to be done manually and greatly reduces optimization. It’s such a pain, I’m seriously considering switching to XenForo for this exact reason. Although I generally love WP, its community features, with great emphasis on bbpress, is lacking out of the box accessibility.

Your options are: juggling multiple plugins as well as designing your own by piece-coding snippets together, or switching to a more comprehensive forum alternative.

Now, I can totally appreciate that this is a community project, but I don’t have the wherewith all to navigate this problem, and given this has been a thing for quite some time, I’d imagine it’s not the direction the developers have in mind for bbpress as a whole.

Robkk

@robkk

some of the themes live demos are having issues but there is always the screenshots too.

that second link is a spam

The the great majority of WP themes offer very limited customization or design focus to improve the functionality or aesthetic of bbpress.

What are you looking for specifically , options in the customizer?? pre-designed layout?? or more functionality without plugins??

love to know what you would want in a bbPress specific theme

j0n4h
    Participant

@j0n4h

More functionality without plugins and options to change certain aesthetics would be, in my opinion, pretty routine for a forum codex.

Now I realize that these options are all viable in bbpress, however, not everyone has the time necessary to learn how to implement these things themselves. Many of these things I already have in my forums, but now without extensive research in addition to plugins designed to enable such desired functionality. The thing is, though, should I really need a plugin to allow for signatures or post count?

If you’re interested, this is a list I would recommend for bbpress to be more competitive out of the box and more user friendly:

Out-of-the-Box Recommendations:

Functionality:

• Ability to Rename bbpress specific vernacular (IE “Last Post” in place of “Freshness”)
    • Posts Count & Join Date Under Username
    • Ability to Change Default Titles & Permissions for Usernames
    • Icons for Subcategories that help to differentiate between subcategories & also dictate if there are “new” or “unread” posts in certain categories
    • “New” icons for new posts
    • “Sticky” icons for stickied posts
    • “Poll” icons for posts containing polls
    • “Hot” icons for posts that are popular
    • Sort Forum by Recently Updated, Most Replies, Most Viewed, Etc.
    • Attachments
    • Private Responses
    • “Like” button
    • Signatures
    • Ability to “Quote” users
    • Basic editor for responses including format help
    • “Report” Option

Aesthetic:

• Different color names or title icons for easy recognition between staff & general members
    • Option to change colors of backgrounds to differentiate between posts or headers and posts
    • Format Categories vs SubCategories in Traditional Forum Style

I also completely understand this may not be within the parameters that the bbpress developers have in mind for this product. They may only be interested in providing the foundation for such things, though without these features, this product is not a feasible option for a comprehensive community forum project for a layman such as myself.

Robkk

@robkk

i agree with these

Posts Count & Join Date Under Username – just post count and join date on profile.

“Report” Option – It would be good for moderation.

Attachments – but just using the Add Media button , ive been messing with this lately.

Things that should be a plugin

Private Responses – kind of a toss up , its not hard to create though. or are you talking about Private messages??

“Like” button – bbPress has a favorites option , like buttons per reply should just be a plugin, there are nice options for plugins though.

dictate if there are “new” or “unread” posts – there is a lot of options in plugins for this and they are quite different too, it really depends if its good for users to have an option on what they want or what.

Ability to “Quote” users – we have threaded replies as an alternative. it could be a feature in the future , but i think it should stay in plugin territory for now.

things that are easily possible to create in my opinion

Icons for Subcategories that help to differentiate between subcategories – simple css

“New” icons for new posts – show icon from date of creation.

“Sticky” icons for stickied posts – simple css

“Hot” icons for posts that are popular -show the label when a reply level hits

Ability to Rename bbpress specific vernacular (IE “Last Post” in place of “Freshness”) – put the templates in your child theme / create a custom language file for your site/ custom function.

Format Categories vs SubCategories in Traditional Forum Style – there is three ways you can have this functionality.

Signatures – you can create a custom text description box in your profile and then just show it after your reply content with a function.

things that are already in bbPress

Sort Forum by Recently Updated, Most Replies, Most Viewed, Etc. – bbPress views does this.

Basic editor for responses including format help – the default quicktags seem basic

I’ve been thinking much about what is mentioned here of late…

For now, check out some of the plugins on this page https://codex.bbpress.org/feature-plugins-tracking/

p.s. Post counts will ship with bbPress 2.6, so that is one removed from that list.

j0n4h
    Participant

@j0n4h

I posted a bunch of images of examples that I thought would be useful, however the anti-spam tool this forum is using chose to delete my post. That being said, @robkk , these options:

• Icons for Subcategories that help to differentiate between subcategories – simple css
    • “New” icons for new posts – show icon from date of creation.
    • “Sticky” icons for stickied posts – simple css
    • “Hot” icons for posts that are popular -show the label when a reply level hits

Would be tremendously useful for me, and though you claim they would be easy to implement, have thwarted me so far. I tried to create a post about it, however apparently the excess of example links deemed it un-postable as dictated by the anti-spam tool.

I’ve searched for the answer and found this:

.bbp-forum-34 i:before {
      content: "\e112"; /* glyphicons_ */
    }

but I’m trying to complete using Font Awesome icons, so I’d imagine I’d have to try:

.bbp-forum-1168 i:before {
      font-family: FontAwesome;
       content: "\f095";
    }

however, I have no idea where to pass this into. And I’m also not sure if this is appropriately how you use Font Awesome as read by CSS.

Robkk

@robkk

You can follow the last entry i added to the very bottom.

it should help with most of the topic icons.

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

i will put how to use CSS at the bottom later.

but the category/forum icons you might need a custom way to list the forums , im going to need more time on that.

your CSS is wrong too .

you can use these as examples

.bbpress a.forum-title:before {
      font: normal 16px/1 'Fontawesome';
      content: '\f07c';
      margin-right: 5px;
      float: left;
      padding-top: 3px;
      color: #222;
    }
    .bbpress a.forum-link:before {
      font: normal 16px/1 'Fontawesome';
      content: '\f016';
      margin-right: 5px;
      float: left;
      padding-top: 3px;
      color: #222;
    }

Jake Hall
    Participant

@geekserve

I’m pretty happy with what I’ve managed to do with the bbpress installation on my site, rockstarwire.net/community

I have even released a plugin of my own, bbPress Advanced Statistics, which essentially adds a shortcode that displays a phpbb / vBulletin-esque “who’s online & statistics” section, you can see an example on the bottom of my site or you can check out the screenshots.

I’m optimistic about the future of bbPress, I just wish my community actually used the forum after all the work I’ve put into it!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar