Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Akismet spam posts marked as "Not Spam" don't show up

• I am getting some false positives with Akismet on an install of bbPress 1.0.1.

I’m ok with a few legit posts getting marked as spam as long as real spam is getting through. But for some reason I can’t get the posts to show up.

I did a search for spam, found several good posts marked a spam. I selected not spam, and they are no longer listed as spam. I did a recount, optimized my database, the posts are still MIA.

They show up as the latest topic, and when I am logged in, it will say “(60 posts +2 more)”, and when I click “+2 more”, the posts show up.

I even uninstalled Akismet, and checked the posts in the database to make sure there weren’t marked differently, but they are identical to the other posts.

Anyone run into this problem before?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sam mentioned that 1.0.2 fixed some Akismet/spam stuff… maybe worth upgrading to see if that addresses it?

https://bbpress.org/blog/2009/07/bbpress-102-bbpress-0906-legacy-version-released/

If that doesn’t do it, do you have the bozo plugin installed now (or did you use it in the past)? That can cause weird problems…

Thanks John, you’re right I should upgrade bbPress and see how that works.

No, I have not used bozo at on this particular forum.

Hmm, I upgraded to 1.0.2 and the problem has not changed.

These are the plugins that I am using: Ajaxed Quote, Akismet, Allow Images, BBcode Buttons Toolbar, BBcode Lite, bbPM, bbPress signatures, bbPress Smilies, BBVideo, Post Count Plus, and reCAPTCHA bbPress.

I don’t see anything that could be causing this though, anyone else have any other ideas?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

So you can’t rescue a spam post?

When there are legitimate posts here that are marked as spam, and they’re marked ‘not spam’ they are then visible in the forums. So, I think it works normally. I wonder why it doesn’t on your installation.

What theme are you using? Could it be a CSS problem?

I’ve never seen the “+2 more” link before… is that a new feature of Akismet?

Allso – what version of the Akismet plugin are you using?

I’ve see the +2 more. It’s been that way since v 1.0-rc1.

I’d suggest turning off Ajax. That one seems likely, but it’s a stab in the dark.

@chrishajer: I can sort of rescue a spam post. I don’t have any problem finding the spam posts in the admin panel, and marking them as “Not Spam”. They disappear from the spam posts and show up in the regular posts.

But in the front end, they do not show up unless I am logged in as admin and click the “+2 More” link.

I am using a custom theme, but it is built from Kakumei and should not be very functionally different from that. I switched back to the default theme, and everything functioned the same.

@johnhiler: I am using 1.1, the latest version of Akismet.

I should also mention that I can’t replicate this. If I mark a post as spam, and then go in and mark that post as not spam, it shows back up just fine in the thread.

It only appears to be happening when Akismet itself filters a post as spam.

@Ipstenu: I deactivated the Ajaxed Quotes plugin, didn’t seem to make any difference.

I then deactivated all of the plugins, that didn’t change anything either.

So I deactivated all the plugins and switched to the default theme. No changes. But when I reactivated those plugins, and switched to my custom theme, I am able to see those posts now, even when I am not logged in.

The “+2 more” link still remains at the top, but the posts in the thread don’t seem change between the regular and all views. So it seems partially fixed, but the more link remaining makes think that more posts could get caught in this limbo.

It almost seems like there was some caching involved and reactivating the theme and the plugins cleared this. But I don’t see that being the case with any of the plugins I am using. And it isn’t the brower’s cache, the problem is the same on multiple machines, any OS or browser.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar