Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Action to disable email subscription notifications

• nm
    Participant

@gmn1

I intend to only use onsite notifications via buddypress. Is there an action to stop emails going
    out while still retaining the subscription functionality?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Can’t you just disable bbPress forum subscriptions in Settings > Forums, and just keep the BuddyPress notifications.

BuddyPress might send out emails for their specific components too, you might need to head to their support forum for this.

nm
    Participant

@gmn1

Hi Robkk, Thanks for reverting. I cannot disable subscriptions as that would render my website useless since the core is forum discussions. My use case would be, a user subscribes to a topic, anytime they come back to the site they get a notification with the number of replies via the buddypres notification component. As it is, that seems to be working, however I need to stop emails from going out that’s all.

Another workaround would be having a counter for all unread replies on subscribed topics via bbress code, know how I can achieve this? Either way I need to completely turn off email subscription notifications.

Barry
    Participant

@barryhughes-1

Would this snippet work for you? You could add to a custom plugin, or to your theme’s functions.php file if that’s how you like to do things.

function bbpress_unhook_email_notifications() {
    	remove_action( 'bbp_new_reply', 'bbp_notify_topic_subscribers', 11 );
    	remove_action( 'bbp_new_topic', 'bbp_notify_forum_subscribers', 11 );
    }

add_action( 'init', 'bbpress_unhook_email_notifications', 100 );

nm
    Participant

@gmn1

The snippet worked, thanks. However, the onsite Buddypress notification stopped working as well. I guess Buddypress taps into the emails for notification generation.

I have a workaround in mind which involves having a counter for the number of new replies from the current users forum/topic subscriptions. Then when they click on it, they are taken to the subscription page, then the counter is reset. Have a snippet that can achieve this?

Barry
    Participant

@barryhughes-1

However, the onsite Buddypress notification stopped working as well. I guess Buddypress taps into the emails for notification generation.

That’s a shame.

I don’t actually find the same problem happens for me, though. If a new reply is posted, then subscribed users still receive a notification via their BuddyPress profiles. Are you describing some other type of notification, or is it possible some other customization/plugin etc is conflicting?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar