Categories
Search
Bottom

2.2.3 / WP 3.5 cannot create topics in groups

• Fee
    Participant

@wdfee

Hello,

absolutely happy about the integration of bbPress 2 into BuddyPress groups I tested this out today. BuddyPress was already installed with group forums on, but not used yet. Installed bbPress completely fresh.
    WP 3.5 multisite, bbPress 2.2.3, BuddyPress 1.7-bleeding-#6628, using bp-default theme.
    I followed these steps: http://codex.buddypress.org/buddypress-site-administration/migrating-from-old-forums-to-bbpress-2/
    and this guide: http://labzip.com/the-definitive-guide-to-buddypress-bbpress-configuration/

Result: I can create everything vom backend: Forums, topics, replies.
    I can add topics in frontend to sitewide forums.
    But I cannot create topics to a group forum, also in new groups from frontend – only from backend.
    I found the bug here that Forum tab doesn’t show up at group creation. I don’t know if that matters – if I turn group forum on after creation in admin panel, the tab is there, with all forum empty messages and new topic form. And these group forums show up in the backend forums view under group forums, so the hierarchy is correct.

Sure this is a test / dev install, no live site. And there’s no hurry, but I’d like to test more out with your plugin 🙂
    Is there something I did wrong until here? Or I could try?

thanks, Fee

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Fee
    Participant

@wdfee

I deactivated and reactivated BuddyPress now. bd-default was deactivated so I tried it with TwentyTwelve – and it works! Switched back to bp-default – doesn’t work. So it’s a BuddyPress theme issue.

Fee
    Participant

@wdfee

It seems that it’s only working in themes that are not buddypress compatible.

Fee
    Participant

@wdfee

ok. bbPress has to be network activated for this to work in buddypress themes.
    Or bbPress and BuddyPress have both to be NOT network activated.In my case I want BuddyPress to be network activated, to stream activities from all sites. But I want only the mainsite to have a forum.

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

@wdfee Wow – I am SOO glad I stumbled across this y’day – as I was having the EXACT same issue related to the inability to post/create new (forum) topics within buddypress groups after I migrated all the group forums to bbpress 2.2.3.

My config is WP 3.5 multisite, bbPress 2.2.3, BuddyPress 1.6.3, using bp-default theme &/or Genesis Agency w/ Genesis Connect.

It was driving me bonkers trying to comprehend what could be wrong. Regardless, I de-activated bbpress on the root site (site 1), & re-activated bbpress ‘sitewide’ and now I can post new topics w/ buddypress group forums. Like you, I could always create new topics for group forums via the back-end & from the front-end via the sitewide forums, but the front-end was a no-go (w/in the actual group-forum) until I activated bbpress sitewide. As a test, I created a multisite ‘from scratch’ installation (WP 3.5 multisite, bbPress 2.2.3, BuddyPress 1.6.3, using bp-default theme) & activated both buddypress & bbpress from site 1 (root) and everything works 100% as expected from the start. I still don’t 100% understand the nature of this sol’n, but I’ll take it for now!

Anyways, THANKS for posting this, as this forum thread was the tipping point to get a major [buddypress x bbpress] open-innovation project launched ‘only x1 month late’ √

Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

I’m experiencing the same issue as what you described. I made a topic about it under the subject line, “Buddypress group forum not working.”

Did you get it working without resorting to network enabling bbPress?

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

@ashenkargmailcom – I’m going to take a fresh crack at all of this next week (Feb 25+). For now ‘network enabling’ bbpress ‘works’ but like we’ve already discussed in the other thread/topic not exactly a robust sol’n, more of an awkward, potentially dangerous band-aid imho. I plan to make a 100% mirror of a clients production site (wp_ms 3.5.1, bp 1.6.4, bbp 2.2.3) & see if I can’t figure out exactly what’s happening on the groups > topics front, as in why new topics/replies can’t be created within the actual buddypress group > forum.

Stay tuned,
    Jeff

Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

@jeffacubed Thanks for letting me know. I’ve already tried to latest bbpress and buddypress trunk but the issue persisted. If I can be of any help with the testing – just let me know. I’m eager to get this issue resolved. Thanks

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

@ashenkargmailcom – I did make ‘some-sort’ of progress on this today, taking a previous multisite install (wp 3.5.1) and then running the latest bp + bbp ‘trunk’ (bp 1.7 beta2 & bbp 2.3 beta1). In this test I had:

a. Buddypress network activated
    b. bbPress only activated in the root (site 1 in my case of a 3 site multisite)

The inability to create group forum topics persists with the default buddypress theme, my Genesis Theme (Agency running Genesis Connect) HOWEVER, creating new topics (w/in group forums) does seem to work if I activate the twenty-twelve theme OR activating the genesis theme (agency) without Genesis Connect. I’m still not 100% sure what this means, though it leads me to think the the issue may not be in the database (which is where I previously thought the malfunction-at-the-junction happened…).

In a second test, I did this:

a. Buddypress only activated in the root (site 1 in my case of a 3 site multisite)
    b. bbPress only activated in the root (site 1 in my case of a 3 site multisite)

& any theme (genesis w/ genesis connect, buddypress default) will allow the full creation of group topics. The same applies (as Fee) pointed out above if both bp & bbp are network activated. The only unworkable situation (for me) seems to be bp (network active) & bbp (single (root) site active).

Still not resolved (to my liking) but perhaps eliminating some variables…

Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

@jeffcubed We have a ticket open with trac on this issue. You may check it out here:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2225

If you’re experiencing the same issue as described in the ticket, then you might want to chime in to increase the ticket’s priority.

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

right-O @ashenkargmailcom – I’ll head on over this week & chime-in. I’m still never 100% resolved this on my end, though on multisite I’ve by-passed the ‘inability post new topics’ issue by only activating bp & bbp on the same site (non-network activated for both). Still, there’s a deeper, if rather obscure issue at play.

Alexander
    Participant

@ashenkargmailcom

@jeffacubed @wdfee I’m wondering if we might all have something in common.

I have an inkling that perhaps we all edited the user roles or capabilities.

I’ve used the Role Editor plugin.

Have any of you adjusted anything about the user roles?

Perhaps network activating the plugins alters how the roles function.

jeffacubed
    Participant

@jeffacubed

You know what @ashenkargmailcom – I think you’re onto something with the common-thread point. I too am using the ‘member’ plugin to adjust/tweak user-roles + I have the ‘member’ plugin network activated. The odd thing is even as a super-admin I experience the topics issue we’re been working through here – but I think you’re right about the common thread. Over the weekend I’ll disable the ‘member’ plugin on my mirrored site & see what I find.

Great idea √

Can you try disabling any User Role/Membership plugins you are using and then run the repair tool ‘Remap existing users to default forum roles’ and see if the issue persists.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar