Thank you! That was an unbelievably frustrating experience and I wasn’t expecting it so I sort of freaked out 😉 in the end I think the problem is how much the forum relies on the post meta take in the database. Exporting through WordPress does not copy these values so while my data was there nothing was linking up. I ended up manually copying the database rows and changing the ID numbers where needed. Hopefully a better export/import system will make it easier the next time I need to do this. Thanks for your consideration!
I’ve spent many, many hours trying to modify my template to achieve something like this. I was about to throw in the towel when I came across this post. I like bbPress, but I find the format of other forums to be more familiar to my customers so it’s better not to make things more difficult 🙂