Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Top
Bottom

Social Engine 3 export forums


  • am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    Is it possible to export from Social Engine 3 to the latest version of bbPress? Is there a tool out there for it?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • If ‘Social Engine 3′ uses a MySQL database you should be able to modify the included ‘Example.php’ import script.

    You can take a stab at modifying the included ‘Example.php’ included with bbPress to try importing your forums just as @vogelsang did for importing from Drupal. There are some basic instructions here on creating your own custom imports for bbPress.

    Further information on importing existing forums into be bbPress can be found here:

    http://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    How long do I need to wait after I start the converter? It just says starting converter with a spinning circle. Does that mean it has failed?


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    Used firebug and realized starting the converter using my custom file causes a 500 error. Same result as using actual Example converter. Any suggestions?

    SocialEngine.php : http://pastebin.com/Z0Zj7n0q

    Nice work… Your script ‘looks’ fine to me at first glance…

    I have just downloaded a trial of Social Engine and will setup a test site and have a closer look.

    I downloaded a trial of Social Engine and I have now set it up to test with…

    I am using Social Engine v4.6.0, what version do you have/using???

    I may have missed it but I was unable to select a table prefix for the MySQL database during install so all the Social Engine v4.6.0 database tables all have a common prefix of ‘engine4_’ and here is a pic of the MySQL DB structure for the forum tables.

    With your importer I noticed that with your ‘from_tablename’ for each section you are using multiple table names in each section. eg. In the ‘forum section’ you have used ‘se_forums’, ‘se_forumtopics’ & ‘forum’ for ‘from_tablename’, you can really only use a single database table for each section unless you have a valid set of ‘join_tablename’, ‘join_type’ & ‘join_expression’.

    In my updated import script that I will link to below I used ‘forum_forums’ for each field in the ‘forum section’ and on the bbPress import screen I used a table prefix of ‘engine4′ thus the query during import will use all the forum info from the ‘engine4_forum_forums’ database table as per my image above.

    I started with the copy of your import script you linked to which was a great help in getting up and running quickly and I have updated it with as many fields as I can find and things ‘appear’ to be working quite well at my end though some more testing is still needed.

    Anyway, you can take a look at the update I did which also brings some code tweaks and formatting inline with the other bbPress Importers.

    As long as you are using Social Engine v4.6.0 I think this should help a great deal, if your using an old v3 version we will have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of that.

    One more thing… What about users? Do you need tom convert/import them???
    (I will end up adding the user import to this for when others need to)

    Without further ado…. Check it out here:

    https://gist.github.com/ntwb/cefe6fe20b1a652a50fc

    (It still needs a few more tweaks and checks, but it is close)


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    Just read your last 2 post, so haven’t tried anything yet, but I am on Social Engine v3.18. We were going to go to v4 then realized that WordPress would be the better way to go.

    Cool… I’ll have a dig around for Social Engine v3.18 tomorrow and see what differences there are and if both versions can be done in a single import script.

    Here is SocialEngine3.php… Its at ~95% from what I have played around with…

    Some testing and feedback would be handy if you could :)

    https://gist.github.com/ntwb/de48b4cd730defd6f67a


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    I’m still getting a 500 server error… Not sure what is going on. You have done a wonderful job with the code though. What would cause custom imports to fail and not built in imports?


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    Ok got it working now… kinda. Turns out, I just don’t know how to spell. That was causing the 500 Error. But now, it seems the process is stuck at “Converting Replies (3600 – 3699)”. Firebug shows several POST request for 0B with circles spinning beside them like they are still working.

    Coool… Progress…

    What happens when it gets stuck if you click ‘Stop’, then click ‘Start’ again it should resume from where it left off….

    p.s. As I’m in Australia the time zone difference does not always make for fluid conversations ;)


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    I came back to look at it this morning and it finished. Looks like the forums were saved as topics. There are no new Forum post types. Everything became either topic or reply type.


    am71722
    Participant

    @am71722

    I used the repair tool and things were well for awhile. Now all of the topics are empty and the user pictures and info is hidden inside posts. All the data is in the database though.

    Regarding your question on StackExchange on removing excess <p> & <br> tags I’ll post an update to the converter that shows how to do this in the next day or so (I have to do this for ~6 of the new converters) so you can take a look at what needs doing for SocialEngine…

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.