Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress 2.2.4 user profile pages so many serious issues

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Shane Gowland
    Participant

@thewebatom

1:
    Take a look at Widget Logic or Sidebars. These are plugins specifically made for adding different sidebars/widgets to specific pages. Manipulating widget areas is outside the scope of bbPress and is something you will need to implement yourself.

2:
    This is a theme specific issue. bbPress could do more to accomodate different primary content area widths, but it’s quite easy to fix with a bit of CSS.

3:
    You can create page templates for specific bbPress functions/pages by creating a /bbpress/ folder in your theme directory and copying your edited bbPress template files into it. It’s briefly mentioned in the codex, but I concede the documentation could be improved significantly.

Further I expect from bbpress authors to work on these issues and release a fixed version.

bbPress is an open source project (largely) developed by volunteers. To expect anything reeks of self-entitlement. The best way to make these things happen is to ask for help on specific issues, fix those issues and then contribute your fixes to the project.

Shashank Shekhar
    Participant

@shashankitsoft

Thanks for replying Shane! Me replying as per your points below:
    1) Yes I know manipulating sidebar is out of bbpress, but the templating of bbpress pages is within the scope. And so for the same, I already stated that I have used forum.php (just by luck it worked, where I used a different sidebar, and it accepted it instead of page.php). I just needed to know am I did the right template (forum.php, forums.php), since no where its documented to use a custom template for bbpress pages.

2) I have stated that I have used twenty-twelve with very little customization. BBpress user pages should work as forum pages accomodating in it. Its not possible to easily do it, just one trick that I already explained is to forciby display:none the sidebar, and make primary area wider with !important. But this is not good in the case if I need sidebar on this page, or in the case to remove sidebar rather than just hiding it from visibility.
    This issue is not exactly theme specific as I already posted a link where other users facing it too. The thing is just little incompatibility of bbpress user pages with several themes.

3) Yes I can use the template, but I didn’t find any template which wrapping up all the user pages like profile, edit-profile, topic started, replies created, etc. There are several files inside bbpress templates, but none are there which include header, footer, sidebar tags in them; they just have the inside-content portion. For templating user pages I need a custom template which it is by default taking page.php and now forum.php which I luckily made. So, let me know which file should I create inside my theme which wrap all user pages and other pages already working with custom forum.php made. I asked for the possibility of using two or templates for bbpress forum and user pages, rather than all falling on page.php, as per bbpress documentation.

Further surely I asking for the help from bbpress authors and users, and just expecting to fix the things if they are the issue, or let me know the solution if exists which can help other users too.
    Also, I am also acting as a little volunteer, done some research and so stated how I was trying to fix and what ways solved my problem somewhat. And also posted some deficiencies of bbpress which if solved, make it more better. And I will surely post fixes if I get myself.

So I hope my issues are more clear now, hope I will get better answer from someone.

Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar