Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

wp_roles interference between plugins

• nicolaboscolo
    Participant

@nicolaboscolo

The problem is that sometimes with a combination of some plugins (firstly started with Acy Mailing)

• bbPress admin menu items disappear.
    • Keymasters are able to access the pages but can’t reply.
    • Participants can’t access the forum pages at all.

Acy Mailing did some investigation and it turned out that this issue comes out when bbPress is calling the function wp_roles. WordPress version 5.7.1
    Here is their comment:

After some investigations and tests, it appears the issue is coming from the BBPress plugin.
    In AcyMailing we are calling a WordPress core function (wp_roles) which gives the user roles.
    AcyMailing is called before BBPress and this is what creates the issue. It seems that whenever an other plugin is calling this function before BBPress, its role system is not working properly and doesn’t give access to its content.
    Whichever plugin who calls this WordPress function before them will create the problem.
    As an example we created a test plugin which only call this function and does nothing else and it also prevent BBPress from working properly (I have attached this test plugin).

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

thanks for this – can you confirm that is only affecting bbpress, it doesn’t affect the other plugin ?

nicolaboscolo
    Participant

@nicolaboscolo

I haven’t noticed any issues with other plugins at this point.

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks, I’ll take a look later

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I installed the test plugin, and have not been able to find an issue.

For instance you say ‘bbPress admin menu items disappear.’ – I can still see all admin items, can you specify an exact example of one that goes eg ‘in this I no longer see that’

nicolaboscolo
    Participant

@nicolaboscolo

To reproduce the problem I installed a clean wordpress 5.7.1. Then Elementor, bbPress and the test plugin. Then I activated them in the same order. At the moment that I activate the test plugin bbPress menu items literally disappear.
    PS: in this configuration I am able access the forum as a user. But when i discovered it on my working site the first time, forum pages were blocked as i described before.

Robin W

@robin-w

elementor theme plugin or both ?

nicolaboscolo
    Participant

@nicolaboscolo

Only the plugin. The theme is the standard Twenty Twenty-One Version: 1.3.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so as a test can you deactivate elementor to see if that resolves – trying to work out what combination causes the issue

nicolaboscolo
    Participant

@nicolaboscolo

It happens when i activate the plugins in a specific order. Here’s a video of it https://youtu.be/5sA63Osn5OA
    And as i said: more plugins i have, more severe is the malfunction

Robin W

@robin-w

ok – that shows what happens with elementor active, but if you deactivate that what happens?

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so I looked and yes adding elementor as a 3rd option causes the issue.

So this is a combination of plugin actions, not a single one.

I should say here that I am just a bbpress user who helps out here, I’m not one of the authors.

I could spend many hours looking at all three plugins to track why the issue happens, but the easiest solution is just to add back the bbpress capabilities after plugins have loaded

so this plugin which is just 4 lines long does that.

BbPress Add Capabilities

just download and then add to your site and if I have understood it, you should be back and working again.

Let me know if/that it works.

nicolaboscolo
    Participant

@nicolaboscolo

You are the real MVP. Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

great – glad you are fixed, and thanks for the MPV – made me smile 🙂

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar