Bottom

WP Multisite "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page"

• SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

WordPress Multisite 3.6
    BBPress 2.4
    Error “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page”

As a super admin, I can activate bbpress on each sub-blog and access it’s settings. If a blog admin tries to activate bbpress or access it’s setting they receive, “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page”.

If I activate it for them I can see the menu’s on their dashboard for bbpress, but they cannot. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, deactivated all other plugins, etc. All the normal troubleshooting hasn’t worked. I checked the MySQL Database after uninstalling bbpress and none of the bb_ tables are there so I assume it completely removed.

I’ve been troubleshooting this for about 3 days now. Very irritating.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

bbPress doesn’t add any bb_ tables anymore. It sounds like none of your admins have the Keymaster role.

If you want to remap user roles, visit Tools > Forums and tick the “Remap existing users to default forum roles” box, and repair them. That will make all Administrators on that site also be Keymasters.

If you want to automatically map regular registered users to have a role in each site’s forums, visit Settings > Forums and tick “Auto role”.

Admittedly, the multisite integration right now isn’t ideal; you may end up building plugins to modify the exact behavior to suit your needs. If that’s the case, I’d love to read about your problem and solution, to see if there’s room for better default behaviors in bbPress core.

Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

Could be with your hosting as well, since some wordpress hosts add Must Use plugins that wreck bbPress, had the same issue with Page.ly.

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

I logged in as super admin, went to those settings, and checked “Remap existing users to default forum roles”.

I logged out of super admin and logged in as the sub-site blog admin. I still have the error…

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

Ok, here is what fixed it. You mentioned the keymaster role, but the admin was already the keymaster. I changed their role to moderator and presto. They can now manage the plugin. I changed it back to keymaster and everything is still good. This worked before the upgrade to bbpress 2.4… Something must have gone weird during the upgrade.

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

CORRECTION: The users still cannot access the forums. Even as keymaster. Actually, after remapping user permissions it seems to have wiped out the blog admins permission to access plugins and themes.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

it seems to have wiped out the blog admins permission to access plugins and themes

bbPress shouldn’t have done this. Do you have some other role/capability plugin installed?

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

For some reason my last comment isnt showing up…

No, I even stripped all the plugins and themes out of the install, and removed/reinstalled bbpress. Same issue. I don’t feel that I had anything abnormal installed for plugins. Most of the popular plugins, jetpack, basic functionality stuff like image resizing/fitting, stat tracking, google analytics, shortcode stuff…

Here is another person who had the problem. I also found a thread on your bug tracking site regarding this issue for multisite from several versions back. Can’t find the link right now, but it said resolved… Not so sure that’s true.

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

and another

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

and another…

Admin user: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page"

It’s also broken for BRAND NEW sub sites with brand new admin usernames.

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

I figured out the “problem”. I’m not sure if it’s designed this way or if it’s a bug.

I had to network activate bbpress. If I don’t network activate it, individual sub blogs cannot activate it themselves, it won’t work. Network activated works perfectly fine.

This works exactly like this on a brand new fresh install of multisite too, so it’s not a 3rd party plug causing the problem.

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

So……… Is this a bug or a “feature”?

SysFailure0x5a
    Participant

@sysfailure0x5a

I read through a bunch of documentation. I cannot find whether it is supposed to be required to enable bbpress network wide rather than on a site-per-site basis.

Having it enabled network wide is annoying, I would much rather let my users enable it if they want it.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar