Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Wierd problems installing bbPress

• I’m trying out bbPress, completely clean install, nothing fancy, my own machine with apache 2.2

Installation goes through without any problems, config file gets created, database gets filled.

When I trying to log on first time, the login page redirects me to incorrect location:

“POST /bb/bb-login.php HTTP/1.1” 302 –

“GET /bb/bb/ HTTP/1.1” 404 279

As can be seen, “bb” (the name of installation subdirectory) appears twice.

Lets work around the error by correcting the url manually in the browser:

“GET /bb/ HTTP/1.1” 200 3356

The forum appears to work fine, however attempt to click the “Admin” link (by the only existing, key master user) leads to even more peculiar behavior:

“GET /bb/bb-admin/ HTTP/1.1” 302 –

“GET /bb/ HTTP/1.1” 200 3356

As can be seen, server immediately redirects access back to the starting page (the correct one, unlike the “login” redirect).

Does anybody have any idea what can it be?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Do you have an .htaccess file with rewrite rules in it, and are you using permalinks? Also, what version of bbPress did you install?

I tried both the tarball from the download page (v1.0, I assume) and SVN trunk. Behavior is exactly the same.

I have no .htaccess nor permalinks, just a clean install of the tarball.

I played around with apache options and mod_rewrite but they had no effect on the issue.

It seems like PHP bug to me.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You mentioned this was your own machine. Is this a localhost installation? What server software are you installing this on?

It’s not my “home” machine, so to say.

It’s a test server running quite a few things and sitting on a local domain with working dns.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8h mod_auth_kerb/5.4 mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.6.2 SVN/1.6.1 PHP/5.2.9-pl2-gentoo with Suhosin-Patch configured

Platform is gentoo-amd64.

By the way, my setup is fully under SSL.

I also changed the install directory to “bbpress”.

I discovered the reason for my first problem (line 30 in bb-login.php):

Up here:

$re == /bbpress/

$uri == https://host/bbpress/

if ( is_ssl() && 0 === strpos( $re, ‘/’ ) ) {

$re = bb_get_uri( $re , null, BB_URI_CONTEXT_HEADER );

}

Down here:

$re == https://host/bbpress/bbpress/

Changing first argument to bb_get_uri from $re to NULL solves the initial login redirect problem for me.

Still looking for the admin link issue.

It appears, that the “admin” issue is also SSL related.

In admin.php:8 bb_auth is called with implied, default scheme “auth”.

However, later on in functions.bb-pluggable.php:145, the following code is encountered:

if ( is_ssl() ) {

$scheme = ‘secure_auth’;

} else {

$scheme = ‘auth’;

}

Which, given that is_ssl() returns true, will make the validation fail and user bounced out of admin page.

For now, I replaced ‘secure_auth’ with ‘auth’ in ssl branch as well, which appears to be a reasonable hack for me.

SSL will never work if you do this. If you look at your cookies they will never be flagged ‘secure’ and they will not be hashed with the appropriate salts.

If you have redirects it’s because your cookies failed to auth(). Meaning they were not hashed.

I recommend following my SSL threads, perhaps applying some patches and most importantly install that latest everything (not svn trunk).

Two observation:

1. I’ve got “last everything” installed.

2. It actually works.

I haven’t checked up your patches yet.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar