Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Widget author link hide

• barrowr
    Participant

@barrowr

I’ve added the bbpress Recent Topics as a footer widget in my website. I have adapted the layout fairly well to fit with the theme but I need to hide the text author name but keep the avatar. Better still have the avatar separate to the text so I can position them precisely using css.

I’ve taken a look at the ‘Editing widgets.php’ and edited to a degree but I need a little more guidance to accomplish the above.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Think you just need to comment out line 143 of widgets.php
    <h4><?php bbp_user_profile_link( bbp_get_current_user_id() ); ?></h4>

Then the avatar will show but not the name.

Line 142 has the avatar code, so you can just use that where you need to put the avatar.

Note that any modifications you make to bbPress core files will be deleted next time you upgrade.

barrowr
    Participant

@barrowr

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the advice. I tried that and it had no effect. I actually commented that whole section as a test and no change. Is this the right code snippet to make this change?

Thanks

Rob

Robin W

@robin-w

Sorry was being thick and quoted the code for the login display.

Having had a look at the widget, there is an option in the recent topics widget itself to hide author ie when you add the widget to a sidebar, you get options for no. posts to show, show author, show date etc. – does that not work?

That links to line 798 in the widgets php, so there would be you next step.

barrowr
    Participant

@barrowr

Thanks Robin.

If I hide author within the widget options it hides the avatar too, so I can’t go down that route.

Looked at the coded and I have been amending the lines at 798. Unfortunately no being too php savvy I can’t fathom which part is related to the avatar and the author link. Removing the line removes the avatar and the link. I could do with knowing which part of the code relates to which function.

Thanks again

Robin W

@robin-w

Have had a bit of a play.

Answer turns out to be very easy !

In line 799 just change

'type' => 'both'
    to

'type' => 'avatar'

Then just the avatar displays.

By the by change it to

'type' => 'name' and guess what, just the name displays!

As said earlier make a note of what you have changed, as later upgrades will change this back.

barrowr
    Participant

@barrowr

Thanks Robin, that worked. I can’t believe it was that straight forward. I looked so often at that code snippet but never thought to change it.

Thanks for your help.

Robin W

@robin-w

I find most of this is straight forward ONCE you know the answer, but like you I can spend hours trying to get something to work !

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar