Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Why is this so hard to achieve? Post minimum characters?

• I’m seriously getting pissed off by several users on my forum, writing three letter replies.

I ain’t gonna make them bozos, and not gonna ban them. They’re good users, but it doesnt help for me to say that “lol” is not a decent reply.

Can someone please help me put a minimum limit to characters in a post? I’d prefer if a user had to write atleast 20 words or 50 characters.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Ben L.

@nightgunner5

But I dont want to “autoblock”.

Thats demotivating for other users. I want a denial-message that tells a person “the post you’ve written is too short, please write a reply of minimum XX characters.”

This is the art of telling someone to improve themselves, not to trash whatever effort they have made. It’s about encouragment, not supression.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Seems like the plugin from Nightgunner5 would be a good place to start. The functionality is there, just remove the parts you don’t need, then instead of moderating the post, return a message that they need to post more content. You’ll be using less than this plugin provides.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/automated-forum-moderation/automated-forum-moderation.zip

https://plugins-svn.bbpress.org/automated-forum-moderation/trunk/screenshot-1.png

Your post is looking a little skimpy! The forum requires you to have at least 3 words, but you only have 1.

Push the back button in your browser.

How’s that?

Ben L. is that how it works? Out of the box like that?

Cause I have no knowledge on how to recode the php.

Ben L.

I downloaded the plugin, but that message you quoted does not appear when posts are too short. It says “You need to actally submit some content”. And hitting the back-button, takes you to the front page, not the previous page.

How to solve this?

Nightgunner, if you read this – I had to delete this plugin instantly.

First of all, theres no admin panel. So I dont really know what Im installing or not with your plugin.

Second of all, I tried to recode the format to UTF-8, which supports Norwegian character ÆØÅ. This resulted in error messages from the server, about headers and stuff I have no clue about.

Thirdly, when hitting the back-button, it returns you to the front page, which confuses members.

I just wanted one plugin that makes people write longer posts. But this one said nothing about posts being too short as Ben L. implied. It said “You have to actually submit some content”, which educationally demoralises a users will to post. They might think their posts are stupid, which in all truth, they are, but to get a successfull forum, you cant tell people that, you must encourage them. And being an idiot at PHP, I found no way to make this happen in the code.

I seriously need this to work now.

Is there some other plugin like this?

Im surprised this is not one of the default tool in WordPress, to limit posts counts for each user, as well as post messages.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

If your PHP knowledge is little, bbPress and specifically user created plugins with no admin section are not ever going to be a reliable solution. We’ve really only had a reliable admin section for 7 months, and very few plugins have been written since then.

In this instance, and for your own needs, the best way to do this is via JavaScript. Googling an example is easy, should only be really 5-6 lines of code, and you won’t need to know any PHP or bbPress commands.

It should, in theory, look like this:

$(‘form’).submit(function() {

if( $(‘input#post_content’).val().length < 20 )

{

alert(” Please write more than 20 letters “);

return false;

}

});

Of course you’ll have to check the code yourself and put it in your theme, but that *should* work.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Did this work Marius- ??

Hi, forgot this was my problem.

Where should I put that php code?

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Cause I have no knowledge on how to recode the php.

It’s JavaScript.

You didn’t want to edit PHP files.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Did this work Marius- ??

*cough*

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Did this work Marius- ??

*cough*

4 weeks now…

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

As you’re on the forums Marius… Any chance of telling us if this code we’ve given you does work?

Maybe even throw out a “thank you”, but I realise that’s asking a bit much, we’ll be happy for you to just give us feedback on the code that we’ve written for you to solve your problem.

Thanks in advance for showing some manners

Kev

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar