Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Why can I not re-order forums by dragging and dropping?

• Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

This is something else I don’t understand. Who uses numbers to manually order stuff? Is this a joke? This is something I would expect from 2 decades ago. This is WordPress / bbPress, why is drag and drop re-ordering not supported outta the box?

How do I go about re-ordering my forums via dragging and dropping rather than manually renumbering every forum?

Ive searched online and couldn’t find a post on how to do it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Not, because Forums is a Post Type like Posts, Pages, Topics, Replies, Products, Books and more of those options you often see in WordPress.

You order the items them when they get pulled from the database based on X or Z.

__

I’ve been trying for years now to find the best ‘new’ way to GROUP + ORDER custom lists of forums without having to make Parent forum categories.

Think about how Menu’s work inside WordPress, it’s one of the most powerful and easy to use features in WordPress and it can + should be used in more ways then just making menu’s. It can’t be that difficult to alter or hook into that wp_nav_menu functionality.

To be honest the main functionality is already there,
    If you go to the Menu’s page inside your WordPress back-end you can see on the left side an option to add all, or most used forums, or just a single forum item to your website’s menu-bar.
    ( if this option is visible from the options menu at the top )

That’s a feature almost nobody uses right now because lets face it, how often do you link to a single-forum-item from your website’s main navigation bar? If so you can also use the Add Custom Link option, visit the single-forum-page front-end > copy the link and add a custom Menu Link to you menu. Done!
    Mostly you just link to the general forums-index page with a list of all forums, that’s a link you show inside your website’s main menu-bar.

Just try it, add a single forum-item to your menu bar but now think about how cool it would be if that link would also show your topics + posts count behind it.
    Default right now:
    – /single-forum-title/
    What it could be:
    – /single-forum-title/ – ( 7 ) – ( 32 )

See where I’m going with this, if you have that structure of a link layout you can group and order very easily your index forum pages or at any other page where you can add a menu – even in de sidebar you could make powerful easy to use lists of forums you want to group together.
    This is so flexible you can make 50 different versions of lists – all you need is a few custom_menu_locations who are made for bbPress forums only.

All this isn’t rocket science for somebody who knows PHP, wp_nav_mennu already has special hooks to add to page_nav_items so you can include data behind those menu-links, even bbPress already has a forums Widget that can do almost the same as I just told you by just adding 2 lines of PHP.

I think this is the way forward in making unique forums index pages.
    I think we all love to group X forums together without using a category forum and try to pull that list behind the scene based on the category_forum_id. You just want to make forums + group the manually together like Menu-items, combine + order -items > Add them them into unique menu_locations and you can make little kinda Widgets of related forums content.

Look what I made over the years and it was a frustration to find the right tags to use while it can be so much easier done by just hooking into the WP Menu function.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

!! Of course keep your respect to the people doing all the hard work on this lovely bbPress source !!

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Im sorry but none of what you wrote has helped me at all.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

True, because it’s not possible right now! bbPress is no WordPress easy coffee that you can install and run away with.
    Everybody can activate a plugin and add content but when you would like to change some of the core functionalities in bbPress the difficulty curve goes up with like 300%.

When I’m done with my site I have gained some more experience about filters and actions and I will try to write a plugin that lets you group and order lists of forums based on the WordPress menu structure.
    I’m still learning myself each time I do something in bbPress.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Ok but I don’t understand, bbPress has been around for years, it is extremely popular, NO ONE has made a plugin for this so far??? That’s all Im looking for.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

bbPress isn’t that populair at all. Who needs forum software today?

Companies and developers do, often for support about their products but when you look back in time lets say 10 years ago forum software was also used in general to make any kind of discussion platform.
    Simply because there was no social media where you could connect with each other so easily and share or thoughts and opinions about anything.

Forums are still great today but limited to a smaller target audience.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

I could swear I’ve seen a plugin for bbPress where you can manually order the forums and categories…

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

Old topic but. This can help. Check just if it doesnt interfere with sorting in backend and frontend for other things. Such plugins can do it sometimes and give undesired results. Watch your widgets too how they behave.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/intuitive-custom-post-order/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar