Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Where to go for bbPress PHP help?

• Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Hello everyone. I am curious as to where I can look to get some help with bbPress’ PHP structure and whatnot. I don’t know any PHP unfortunately, still tackling CSS before I get to PHP, however, I will be learning it slowly soon enough. I have not been able to find any help let alone get more than 2 replies, so Im wondering what sources I can use to get examples of how I would do some simple things such as move categories to where it says “Forum” on the gray bar, and the forums to where the categories are listed.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Hi πŸ™‚
    I don’t really understand what you would like sorry.
    Which gray bar? where exactly?
    Can you take a picture of your forum and draw what you would like on it with paint please would be easier to understand ^^
    thanks

I’d suggest you start with the docs in the codex.

It looks like you don’t need to know any PHP just yet πŸ˜‰

Codex

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

There you go.

Wow! On the front page of bbpress.org and everywhere we mention bbPress:

"bbPress is forum software, made the WordPress way."

bbPress is not like all other forums, it was not made to be like other forums, it was made the WordPress way allowing for customized functionality by plugins and/or themes.

So maybe you should post on http://jobs.wordpress.net/

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

I don’t CARE if bbPress is “made the WordPress way.”

bbPress is awesome, but the way it has been structured makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

You guys are missing CRITICAL forum features such as quoting, multi-quoting, signatures, and more, and NO plugins should not be filling this stuff in, the point is to integrate these necessary features into the software.

There is ONE plugin for quoting and it SUCKS, it literally sticks the post under a LINE, not in a nice blockquote separated like ANY other forum software would.

You guys have a bar that says “Forum”. What the HELL is that supposed to show the user??????????????? That’s where the category label would go, on any forums, there’s a reason all other forums do that. Do you see car manufacturers making 3 wheel cars because that’s “their way”? There’s a way to do things right. Making a stupid structure is not how you do things “your way.”

Everyone I have spoken to agrees with me. The forums on bbPress and WordPress sites for support are a freaking headache. You guys have everything just cluttered up to the right side, it’s such an eye sore even writing this post is giving me a headache.

Don’t tell me “it’s the WordPress way.” So sick of hearing that. People here have made it clear that the format for bbPress’ structure SUCKS. You guys cram every forum side to side inline, why?? WHY?

I am disagreeing with the “WordPress” way, and trying to figure out how to legitimately get this to be noted. I’ve posted it in bbPress Trac and it’s been just looked over.

Robin W

@robin-w

I think you need to seriously consider taking some anger management classes.

bbPress is free, it costs you nothing, is developed and maintained by a bunch of nice guys who do this for free, and is supported on this site by more nice guys who again do it for free.

If you cared to read to documentation instead of just hurling abuse at us, you’d find fixes or tools that would let you alter what you are complaining about for instance the inline list is discussed in

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

and turning off the counts in

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

Because bbPress is flexible and all of what is displayed can be altered with either a little php or in many cases a plugin.

However in your case I’d simply suggest that you find different forum software and annoy someone else, rather than whinging on this support forum.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

I have looked through both pages you listed multiple times. They show you simple things like turning things on/off, or changing how it displays. It doesn’t actually look any better.

I’m not hurling abuse, Im just sick of hearing “this is how bbPress” is.

Im saying, bbPress’ structure makes no sense. Just because it’s free, doesn’t mean it’s ok for the structure to look god awful. It’s fantastic software, it just needs restructuring, you can see this by all the people here and around the web that are trying to figure out how to make it look right.

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Hi,
    The Starter pack https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs (by Lynk = https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/i-have-created-a-bbpress-starter-theme-with-a-phpbb-look-and-feel/) does exactly all that you want. I see you posted on this topic, did you try it?

It turns basic bbpress to this for example: http://teamoverpowered.com/forums/

And I agree, this is not because YOU don’t like bbpress the way it is, that EVERYONE do, it is not true. Some people like it this way because it is simple.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

“And I agree, this is not because YOU don’t like bbpress the way it is, that EVERYONE do, it is not true. Some people like it this way because it is simple.”

what? you agree with what? that sentence made no sense to me.

Im in the process of getting my subdomain set up with my host. Waiting on them to try the starter pack.

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

I wanted to say that I agree with Robin W.
    I am not english, sorry if you don’t understand what I mean……

Robin W

@robin-w

@mycelus – if you stopped attacking those that are trying to help you, you might get further.

You need to make a choice – stick with bbPress and start ASKING for help, or go elsewhere – your choice ! πŸ™‚

I’m going to close this topic as it is not going to be helpful for anyone.

@mycelus
    Feel free to open new topics though try to keep each topic not so broad a scope i.e. wanting to know how to change everything at once etc, break it down in parts and search for the site to see what others have done.

Eg. To change the way the forums are listed use this snippet shown here.

Most of all choose your words carefully to not offend or insult others rather than some the terminology you used in your screenshot above and your follow up post. There is no need to make any of this personal, nor will personal attacks on anyone be tolerated.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Where to go for bbPress PHP help?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar