Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Where is the setting for mail server config?

• Hi all

Plz help me, I’ve read everything there is to read about problem emails & have also tried installing sambauer’s bb_mail fix plugin with no luck.

I had bbpress 0.9 installed on a previous hosting provider & the system would send out emails to new registrants without any problem.

However, I have moved to a new hosting provider that requires authentication for the mail to be sent, and will not allow “localhost” as the outgoing mail server. Where do I find the php file that allows me to change it from localhost to a specific “outgoing mail server” domain?

Is it even possible?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The bb_mail() function that sends emails uses the basic mail() function of PHP. That means that the web server needs to be able to send the mail. There is no built in way to set the mail server to anything else. This would be possible with a plugin, but I don’t think that plugin exists.

Hey sambauers

Thanks for the response :)

I just found out that the standard php mail() function does not support SMTP authentication, and that the only way for me to rectify this problem is to either get my hosting provider to change their server settings, or some sort of workaround using the PEAR Mail package which apparently provides supporting functions useful to multiple mailer backends. It currently suppors: PHP’s native mail() function, sendmail, and SMTP.

I will keep you posted because if my hosting provider isn’t prepared to change his server authentication requirements, this PEAR-shaped workaround may turn out to be a good one for other bbpress users with the same problem.

Woohoo!!! Got the PEAR-shaped workaround working.

A guy called Rob Hartzenberg at my hosting provider wrote the plugin for bbpress that uses the PEAR mail package to allow authentication.

All I needed to do was:

1. download & edit the plugin file to reflect my own SMTP host, port number, username (email address) & my password;

2. replace the last line of the bb_mail() function in “bb-includes/pluggable.php with 2 lines of code supplied in the installation instructions;

3. Login as keymaster & activate the plugin.

Voila!

I will be uploading the plugin shortly as I reckon there will be people in need of this workaround as quite a lot of hosting providers require SMTP authentication.

What a relief :)

many thanks to everyone that tried to assist & an even bigger THANK YOU to Rob at Imaginet.

Since bb_mail() is in pluggable.php, it can be completely replaced by a plugin without having to modify any core files.

I suggest you write your plugin to do that instead of requiring people to modify pluggable.php.

/*
    Plugin Name: SMTP PEAR blah
    */

if ( !function_exists( 'bb_mail' ) ) :
    function bb_mail() {
    // my replacement for bb_mail()
    }
    endif;

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar