Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

What is the status of threaded (nested) replies and pagination?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

Yes a simple, no where are not going to fix it or this will be on the road map, but not before 2021 is still fine. Just let us know.

Robin W

@robin-w

the trac ticket says that it is in the pipeline for a future release.

The software is worked on for free by people in their spare time, and with the best will in the world, I don’t think you can ask people to make commitments on when this might (or might not) be done.

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

Not asking for commitment, just a simple no would suffice.

This issue has been open for 19 months, so asking for a update on the status would be greatly appreciated.

Robin W

@robin-w

that kinda assumes that the authors have planning meetings, and have project management charts with planned release dates etc. That’s not the way almost all open software authors work.

Most fix tickets that break their software, and then pick items that interest them, which can vary from day to day.

That this one remains as a ‘future release’ shows that it has not been rejected, but also no one is working on it or has been assigned to work on it.

That is the best that anyone can say 🙂

so it is not a simple no.

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

There just has been a major release, which means that has been meetings and things have been set in motion.

This particular ticket has not been updated in some time, so getting it under peoples attention is the best that anyone can do 🙂

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Some fixes did go into hierarchical replies in the latest versions, just not regarding pagination. I’m hoping to look more into this for bbPress 2.7.

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

@johnjamesjacoby thank you! This was what I was looking for. I think I’ll keep running 2.5.x for the mean time and keep an eye out on changes in the future.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I would suggest starting with 2.6 instead. There are so many improvements since 2.5, you’ll want to make sure you have them all. The farther behind you’re working, is the more work you’ll end up needing to do later.

The code changes in your original post are all still pretty close to correct if you want to make paginated hierarchical replies work like Comments do. If you need more help, I can guide you here for the time being. Then maybe we can take that work and turn it around into getting it done for 2.7. What do ya say? 😄

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

@johnjamesjacoby that sounds amazing! I’ve did some digging already, but I couldn’t find an easy fix to get it working again.

If you’ve some pointers to get the code from
    Sven (https://wpup.co/bbpress-threaded-nested-replies-with-paging/) working with the latest version, I’ll gladly do some testing.

Lead As Love
    Participant

@optimystic13

Just want to add to this that our team greatly needs this feature (nested replies AND pagination) and would be very grateful for a fix in 2.7. Thank you both!

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

@johnjamesjacoby I’ve created a Gist of the code that we currently have which is working on version 2.5.x, this way everyone has easy access to everything needed.

https://gist.github.com/mvaneijgen/6437dc91d2778ec6fb9f2eb579756bd7

Now I would love to know where to start thinkering to get this working for version 2.6.x and hopefully get it implemented in version 2.7.x

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

@johnjamesjacoby do you have any tips on where to start tweaking? You’ve said that it’s almost correct, but I’ve no idea where to start with this code.

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

@johnjamesjacoby everything alright? Haven’t heared from you in a while.

mvaneijgen
    Participant

@mvaneijgen

Sadly I had to publish my site with the old 2.5.x I’ve managed this by changing the version number of the plugin in bbpress.php and readme.txt to some insane version number which will never be hit in the near future.

I would still love some pointers on how to implement the pagination of treaded replies, which works with the hack for 2.5.x version of bbpress.

gpbc
    Participant

@gpbc

Hi

Is this still something ear-marked for 2.7 ( as per John’s response) ?

Got a client with a large busy site and some pages are really struggling due to the large number of threaded responses loading.

Wanted to check if this was still potentially happening around v2.7

Thankyou

hydrogriff
    Participant

@hydrogriff

@johnjamesjacoby Hi. Any updates on this?

technologypoet
    Participant

@technologypoet

Any update on this?
    Threaded topics quickly become unusable, and I’ve been unable to find any way to improve performance.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar