Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

What installation order should I follow?

• I’m at a loss as for what to do and would love a little direction.

For a number of reasons about a year ago I transitioned a site from Geeklog to WP. I made a big mistake when choosing the forum software to use for the site. I looked at BBPress but ended up using RS Discuss. I don’t remember my rationale, but needless to say it was flawed. Currently the site is running on WP 2.0.4 and RS Discuss version .52. The forums are working and have become moderately active.

RS Discuss looks to be dead and isn’t going to work with anything higher than WP 2.0.x series… I’m scared to death to upgrade WP for fear that the forums will be fubared.

So I’d like to correct my earlier mistake and install / integrate BBPress into WP. However, in order to keep everything kosher I want to install BB onto the existing site before upgrading WP so as to be able to migrate all the RS info into BB…

Long story short… Would it be safe to Install BBPress onto WP 2.0.4 and then upgrade the site to WP 2.2?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • It will be fine. From WordPress 2.0.4 to WP 2.2 there were no changes in the wp_users and wp_usermeta tables that would give you an issue using bbPress that I am aware of. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to install bbPress in a directory off WP and see how you make out following all the integration instructions. You can always move folders later by just changing the config.php to have the address that you eventually would like.

Trent

kilerb
    Participant

@kilerb

I’m about to move 1 of my sites from Geeklog 1.6 to WP 3.04… I got the users over pretty much. However, I am 100% clueless on how to get the forum board posts moved over. Anyone have any expertise in doing this? Not sure if Geeklog speaks the same language as WP or the BBpress forum boards. Anybody that could help me or point me in the right direction? Thanks a lot!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar