Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Want to prevent new topics in a sub-forum but allow replies to existing topics.

• norcom41
    Participant

@norcom41

Created a forum (for a school) with the top level being a category, directory type closed to act as a single parent. Created a sub-forum as a child to act as a school class (one of more to come). There will be a fixed number of topics underneath, each representing an assignment for certain chapters. Students will create replies but cannot add topics because they are fixed. However, I understand if you close the sub-forum to prevent topics from being added you also prevent any replies. There apparently is no easy way to circumvent this. I have the latest WordPress installed and it’s a Twenty Sixteen theme. The site is http://www.biblebookletschool.com.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Install this additional plugin

Private groups

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>help to see how the plugin works, but then look at ‘topic permissions’ tab, which has the exact example you are after.

norcom41
    Participant

@norcom41

In Oct/2022 I found http://www.buddydev.com/restrict-user-from-creating-topic-on-certain-bbpress-forums. I printed out some code to look at it and some comments about it. I put the info in the learn how to use short-code in my notebook to study when I had time. It seemed complicated and only for advanced developers and I haven’t used short-codes as yet. But most of the developer reviews in that place seemed positive. The few negatives had to do with the code being beyond their expertise. I checked the reference in your reply and it seemed to fall into the category of an advanced approach. But I was just wondering if someone by now had figured out an easier way to solve my question because it seems to be a logical requirement to have a solution for. However, in my searching one person said “who would want to do something like that when that’s not what it’s meant for” I’ll have to study it all so I can be more comfortable trying it.

Robin W

@robin-w

private groups will do what you want.

Basically you have a choice.

1. develop code yourself
    2. use code someone else has written
    3. pay someone to write code for you
    4. use a plugin and set this up yourself
    5. use a plugin and pay someone to set it up for you.

My private groups plugin does what you need – I do not write separate plugins for every circumstance, everyone wants something slightly different 🙂

Anyway I’ll let you consider. Quite happy to do option 5 if you want some help

norcom41
    Participant

@norcom41

When you download a plugin apparently it doesn’t automatically install at that time. But it seems that certain documentation is available to explain things if the provider has given it depending how helpful it is. So it just sits there until it’s activated. However, once it’s installed is it easy to uninstall if there’s a problem? I remember one download which I installed for something else that became that way and it was a chore finding what was stored in many different places. So apparently this one is different than the above http://www.buddydev.com/etc plugin?

Robin W

@robin-w

easy to uninstall
    very different to the one in your link

norcom41
    Participant

@norcom41

I considered how tricky it might be to customize how forum functioning takes place. I read that you can create new roles that redefine what capabilities users have even to do things differently. But roles don’t seem to be stored in wp_users. However I did read that definitions are in the wp_users_roles option of the wp_options table. There are forum roles which would have to be coded differently using hooks, filters and actions. It’s always best to keep things simple. It sounds so complex that maybe it would be better to tell students not to create new topics or else the administrator would just have to delete them.

Robin W

@robin-w

you do seem to be massively over-thinking this 🙂

Install private groups plugin

create a group called’teachers’
    create a group called ‘students’
    tick the tab that sets up topic permissions
    create (or edit an existing) forum
    set the forum that teachers can create topics and replies
    set the forum that students can only create replies
    set each user to be either a teacher or student
    job done.

madorac
    Participant

@madorac

I installed this plugin and it was successful in preventing participants from creating new topics. However, there is a message that states “You cannot create new topics”. Is there a way to get rid of this message?

Robin W

@robin-w

do you know how to ftp files, if so I’ll let you know what to do

madorac
    Participant

@madorac

I do not, but my IT department may be able to assist.

Robin W

@robin-w

instructions for them

find
    wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/form-topic.php

transfer this to your pc and edit

go to line 248 and change

? esc_html_e( 'You cannot create new topics.', 'bbpress' )

to

? esc_html_e( '', 'bbpress' )

and save

create a directory on your theme called ‘bbpress’
    ie wp-content/themes/%your-theme-name%/bbpress

where %your-theme-name% is the name of your theme

Then transfer the file you saved above and put in in the directory called bbpress that you created above, so you end up with
    wp-content/themes/%your-theme-name%/bbpress/form-topic.php

bbPress will now use this template instead of the original

Jester
    Participant

@1337jester

Thank you soooo much, Robin!! You saved my day!!!!

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂 glad to have helped

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar