Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Want to change default forums templates

• lizat
    Participant

@lizat

I want to change the template used for my forums index and the forum itself – currently it is using a default that has a sidebar that I don’t want.

I think they live in …/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress. So I can create new ones in my child theme if I only knew which to copy?

Is there a list anywhere of which is what…. the codex doesn’t seem to have it. Right now I need to know the ones for:

• Forums Index page
    • Forum list of threads page
    • Thread Page

Thank you

liz

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbPress uses your theme’s page templates to wrap the code in, so you will need to use a page from your theme that doesn’t have a sidebar, and rename this.

see https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum/#8-make-sure-bbpress-uses-the-page-template-we-want

So once you know which page template file you need, copy this and rename the copy to bbpress.php

Place this file in the root of your theme ie wp-content/themes/%mytheme%/bbpress.php where %mytheme% is your theme’s name.

come back if any of that is not clear, and I’ll try and help further !

lizat
    Participant

@lizat

Dear Robin,

Yes, that is all clear. I have managed to do this without breaking anything!

Thank you

liz

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – glad you’re fixed.

lizat
    Participant

@lizat

Robin,

One last question. I am using a child theme to preserve changes. In this case can I put the file in the child theme folder?

liz

Robin W

@robin-w

Yes absolutely.

1. A child theme is great because it preserves your changes
    2. Yes put the file in there – the child theme is your theme, so yes changes to bbpress templates should go in a bbpress directory in the theme folder.

Do come back if you have further queries !

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar