Categories
Search
Bottom

Viewing Forums gives 404 – forum list not showing private forums

• stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

Hi there,

I was having trouble with a theme so I deactivated and reactivated bb press, since then all my “private” forums take me to a 404 page and when I view the forum root page, it doesn’t show the private forums listed.

However all the pages which I embedded the private forums via shortcode are still working and all the posts are there?

Eeek! Please help!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

Also, for some reason the sticky topics are appearing across all forums?

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, lets break this down

A)

I was having trouble with a theme so I deactivated and reactivated bb press, since then all my “private” forums take me to a 404 page

and

However all the pages which I embedded the private forums via shortcode are still working

Can you explain further where you can and cannot see forums?

1. Are they visible from the backend

Dashboard>forums>all Forums and then ‘view’ a forum

2. On the ‘the pages which I embedded the private forums via shortcode are still working ‘ – so you can view here – yes?

3. when is the 404 page occurring – is it just the forum root page, and if so are these being listed but going to 404 when you click.

B) I presume you are logged on, at what level and can you try different levels eg participant, moderator and keymaster and tell us if this is different or the same.

c) You don’ tell us what trouble you were having with the theme, so it would be good to eliminate this and plugins so

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

Thank you so much for your reply.

1. I can see the forums from the backend.

2. Yes, I can view them if they are embedded.

3. If I try viewing a forum through its actual link I get the 404. The forum root page is displaying only the public forums but it was displaying all. I can view the forum if it’s embedded in a page.

I am logged in as the keymaster, other accounts are the same.

The problem with the theme was that a page’s layout had changed. BBpress was fine with the new theme until this morning when I deactivated and reactivated.

I have tried deactivating some of the plugins. I cannot deactivate Wishlist Member as it is an active membership site with paying customers so I can’t afford the down time.

If I switch the forums to public, they display correctly through the links and through the forum root page. This is what I have done for a temporary fix.

Is there anything else I can try or is my only solution here to disable wishlist member as well and take the site down when changing to a different theme?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Steve

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm, not sure quite the best way to proceed.

So did bbpress change when the theme changed?, or why did you deactivate it? and did you deactivate because of THIS problem? or has this problem only occurred since you deactivated/recativated?

stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

This only happened when I deactivated/reactivated bb press, which I did because of the problem that turned out to be the theme. Strange right?

Robin W

@robin-w

I can only think that wishlist member or other factor is referencing an item within bbpress, and this has a different ID now that you have reinstalled.

I’d try going into all the settings within wishlist to see if you can identify !

stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

Hello, I ended up resetting my forums as this solution did not resolve the problem.

I tried to import the forums, topics and posts back in but this crashed my server so I think I have to start from scratch again which is upsetting.

There’s only one more problem that I’ve noticed, if a standard user (at subscriber level – participant level on the forum) posts a topic it works. But if I as the administrator (key master) tries to post a topic, nothing happens, I click the button and it reloads the page with my topic still drafted.

Any ideas?

stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

I also can’t reply to topics either

stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

Update: if a subscriber level user is assigned the keymaster role – they cannot post either.

stevebradley1
    Participant

@stevebradley1

Update 2: Moderators can post.

Robin W

@robin-w

I can only suggest that you go back to

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

and then come back.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar