Categories
Search
Bottom

Using external platform for authentication to bbPress

• kbrennemaneab
    Participant

@kbrennemaneab

Hello,

We currently have built a website with a custom theme and are looking to add create a community within our website.

Our site architecture dictates user authentication/authorization to content managed through a 3rd party SaaS platform (Salesforce), so users are never hosted within WP. So user authenticates to site via API call to Salesforce, which has a token returned which authenticates to site and authorizes content. My question is has anyone attempted to leverage bbPress with this architecture, adopting the authentication cookie to identify the user in bbPress and subsequent posts?

I have not found any documentation on this approach therefore thought I’d start here. If there’s documentation out there and I’m blind, feel free to give me a nudge. Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress just uses wordpress user, so if your site authenticates to WP, then bbpress will work fine

kbrennemaneab
    Participant

@kbrennemaneab

Thanks Robin, however we don’t use WordPress users for authentication. User management is handled outside WordPress and managed through a session cookie. I’m just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of setup, maybe using a hook that checks for preexisting authentication. Thanks.

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress expects to see a wordpress user, and if you current app doesn’t do that, then bbpress won’t work – it is hooked at every turn to user_id in wordpress.

best I can offer is

Login with Salesforce

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar