Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Using bbPress for WordPress comments

• I run a WordPress blog and bbPress forums at Nearthwort Obtain.

In order to keep all discussion centralised, blog posts direct users to a corresponding topic in the forums for commenting.

If possible, I’d like to display a note next to each “Discuss” icon at the bottom of blog posts indicating how many comments have been posted in the post’s forum topic.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • To redirect users to a forum (e.g. see the bottom of this article), I wrote a tiny plugin called bbpress-instead.

I’m going to add a count capability now (for example purposes), so since it’s GPL (natch) feel free to embrace and extend :)

Aaron
    Participant

@ergate

If I am not mistaken it looks like he already has an integration done. mjfiszman is that correct?

If so how did you set this up? or are you doing this manually?

If it is integrated (eg. calling bbpress functions on the wp page) did you try get_topic_posts()

If it’s not integrated (my wp+bb isn’t) then this plugin will probably work for you.

It does a little URL processing to work out what is being linked and based on that will return the number of topics matching a tag, the number of topics in a forum or the number of comments in a particular topic.

Thanks for the help :)

ergate: I’m doing it manually right now. Assuming I carry on like that, is there a way to include the # posts functionality?

ear1grey: Your plugin looks to be the sort of thing I’m after, but I’m a bit confused about how it works.

First, I believe I’ve added that meta fields as instructed, but nothing seems to be showing in the post.

Also, it’s not clear from the example post on your site if it’s possible to direct users to a particular, pre-existing forum topic.

Thanks for any more help!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar