Bottom

Users from any group can view, but post only with permission

• aventurine_geode
    Participant

@aventurine_geode

WordPress version: 4.2.2
    bbpress version: 2.5.7

Hey all,

I’m wanting to achieve something fairly complex with bbpress, and I’m hoping you all can help me.

Right now my setup looks like this:

Two main forums, Forum A and Forum B. Forum B contains subforums X, Y and Z.

I want all of the users of my site to be able to view and fully participate in Forum A. That’s fine.

However, I want all of the users of my site to be able to fully view Forum B, but for only users with specific permissions to be able to post there.

For example, a user from User Group X will be able to view topics and threads in subforums X, Y and Z, but can only post in subforum X. A user from User Group Y can see subforums X, Y and Z but can only post to User Group Y, and so on.

Right now I’ve achieved part of what I need with Robin Wilson’s “Private groups” bbpress. Unfortunately, with this plugin, users who don’t have permission to access a forum can’t view it – the plugin pushes them to a 404 page or a redirect substitute. I want users to still be able to fully view the forums, just not to be able to post without permission.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to implement something like this?

(I have crossposted this to the Private groups plugin support board. I hope there are no issues with that.)

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

(I have crossposted this to the Private groups plugin support board. I hope there are no issues with that.)

no problem, you get me either way !

This could be coded, but it is quite complex to do.

In essence you would need to change the can_view function in private groups to have a view or change capability.

The issue is that I am fully tied up at the moment in other paid work, so you would need to put this to someone who would need to learn how bbpress/private groups works.

I suggest you try

http://jobs.wordpress.net/

I hope you find someone.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar