Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

User name looks like not UTF8

• One of the users has set in WP a nickname in Cyrillic (which reads in place of the username in latin). In WP it shows up fine, however, when that user info read by BB it is displayed as ??????????. My guess is that it read from db utf8 but then it goes through single byte string function that kinda kills it. Any other parts of the posts, topics, body and such are read and displayed fine in Cyrillic. Thus it is my understanding that the user name gets de-utf8 somewhere in the process of maybe checking for its validity or something else.

The $collation_query is “SET NAMES ‘utf8’ COLLATE ‘utf8_general_ci'” in class.bpdb.php

Any idea where to start looking? I have what was the latest alpha.

What function reads users from WP db?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Is the template you are using set to display UTF8 charset in the head or header? Is the database actually in utf8 or something else?

The bb-config setting for database charset and collation has to match whatever the table actually is.

Everything matches, everything is UTF8 (since I am running a Russian site). All headers and meta show utf8. The DB is all UTF8…

Could you tell me what function reads users from WP db? I would follow from there.

Example: http://www.ourtx.com/ourtx/forum/topic/43

DB is WP 2.7.1 all UTF8_general_ci where it concerns text fields

Plus, I have a chron job that gets latest posts and prints them on the left side of the website, it gets that user name in Cyrillic just fine.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar