Skip to:

upgrade error

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Looks like you got it sorted out. Great!

    Could not determine site URI.. Error on my upgrade?

    Do you know how to fix this error?



    Looks like that comes from bb-settings.php (line 156 in

    // Die if no URI
    if ( !$bb->uri && ( !defined('BB_INSTALLING') || !BB_INSTALLING ) ) {
    bb_die( __('Could not determine site URI') );

    I think that says “If there is no $bb->uri defined AND you’re not installing, then die with this message.”

    So, in your bb-config.php, what do you have defined for $bb->uri?

    I do not see $bb->uri anywhere in the upgraded config file?

    I do not see $bb->uri anywhere in the upgraded config file? or a place to assign the domain name



    You’re absolutely right. Sorry about that. This is how it was done before the 0.9 release. Now it looks like that option was moved into the database. In the database in the bb_topicmeta table, there is an entry with a meta_key of uri that holds this value. I think that means it was entered when you went through the installation, and gets inserted into the database. I just tried another installation with and that value is prefilled in the form.

    Site address (URL):

    We have attempted to guess this, it's usually correct, but change it here if you wish.


    The correct URL was prefilled here. When I clear it out and submit, I get the following error:

    Site address (URL): • This value is required to continue.

    So, for some reason, it looks like this error check did not work for you, or the value that was inserted into the database is not valid. Can you use a tool like phpMyAdmin to look at the database and see if you have a bb_topicmeta table, with a record that has a meta_key of uri and see that the value is? The record is meta_id 3 in my installation.

    If you can’t do that, can you reinstall if you have not used the forum yet?

    Also, I see you’re on IIS. I wonder if there are any differences with hosting there from what I am used to, which is Linux and Apache.

    I got this on an IIS server too.

    The simple fix seemed to be to cut and paste the following into the new config file after the line “$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!” …

    // If your bbPress URL is , the examples would be correct.

    // Adjust the domain and path to suit your actual URL.

    // Just the domain name; no directories or path. There should be no trailing slash here.

    $bb->domain = ‘http://mydomain’; // Example: ‘’

    // There should be both a leading and trailing slash here. ‘/’ is fine if the site is in root.

    $bb->path = ‘/’; // Example: ‘/forums/’

    Once the upgrade was done, I could go back and remove the lines and it all seemed to work.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar