Categories
Search
Bottom

Unique member names

• peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi

I am having trouble finding a way to make every user/member have a unique name.

Right now anybody could use the same name.

Cheers
    P.H.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

are you using automatic registration?

If so wordpress should prevent duplicate usernames.

or maybe you using a membership plugin that overrides this?

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Been a while, spent quite a lot of time looking for a solution for the “name” issue.

Wordpress registration checks if a “username” is already used, this is great.

Buddypress is the problem cause they also add a “Name” field to registration, and this can be duplicate creating issues when multiple John Doe’s appear in my forums and activity.

Solution

I created a dirty solution by changing the label for (buddypress) Name to Username, and added a line of text urging new members to fill in the exact same name as the did in the “Username” field.

Although people can type whatever they want there, I hope most will just copy the first name.

This way the @name and username should be similar on all pages.

Then I also removed the option to change this name in the profile edit.php through CSS so no longer can people change their nicknames.
    Unless a code savvy member goes to change the CSS in chrome, then the box will appear and they can change their names.

Wishlist

A solution/function where Buddypress or BBpress copies the username and adds that in the nickname field by default.

Anyway, here is a link to my current register page:

BBFacelook registration page

P.H.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar