Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Turning on forums in existing BuddyPress groups

• SydneyDesigner
    Participant

@sydneydesigner

I’m using the latest WP, BuddyPress and bbPress.

I have the new bbPress forums turning on and working nicely inside new BuddyPress groups (i.e. groups that I create now, since loading the new bbPress). But for existing BuddyPress groups there seems to be a problem. The group admin for existing groups still has the correct bbPress sub-page asking me to tick the box to set up a forum for that group, which I tick and it saves OK. But when I click on the “forum” tab in that group I just get the error message; “This group does not currently have any forums.”

How do I turn on forums in existing BuddyPress groups please?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

Have a peek at our quick fix for this problem… follow step by step and you should be fine:

http://labzip.com/the-definitive-guide-to-buddypress-bbpress-configuration/

SydneyDesigner
    Participant

@sydneydesigner

Thank you. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think your guide is out of date for what I am now doing (and presumably others are now doing too) with the new bbPress 2.x. To use the new bbPress 2.x fully you do indeed turn off the BuddyPress forums component, as JJJ said in reply to you in forum
    “Much of it is the same. You’ll want to focus on:
    turning the BuddyPress forums component Off
    the bbPress 1.1 import tool
    the BuddyPress settings in: Settings > Forums”

So I am still looking for the answer to my original question if you know that please…
    How do I turn on forums in existing BuddyPress groups please?

Does anyone know the answer?

LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

This video is indeed out of date for 2.2+ … but only insofar as the new features are concerned.

The issue you asked about, however, was the problem of “This group does not currently have any forums.”

the “fix” for that does seem to remain the same (deleting the bb-config.php file and resetting the option boxes).

The issue isn’t about “turning on” the group forums… it’s about the fact that there is a “quirk” that can block the normal activation from working unless you cycle the config file.

If you haven’t tried that, I encourage you to give it a shot… you may find it works 😉

SydneyDesigner
    Participant

@sydneydesigner

Thanks but yes, I already tried that and just tried again to make sure.

Again, please correct me if I’m wrong, but “deleting the bb-config.php file and resetting the option boxes” no longer seems to apply to bbPress 2.2+.

Firstly, there is no bb-config.php file in the root directory anymore.

Secondly, in BuddyPress config you now leave the forums component off (not on like before). I did still try toggling the BuddyPress forums component on then off, but that didn’t fix it.

I’d be grateful for any more suggestions to try please.

Ardibee
    Participant

@ardibee

Any news on this? Like Sydney designer I see no bb-Config file, even when following the new, updated Labsecrets video and I’m getting the same error as Sydney Designer… No obvious way to add a forum within a group and the ‘add topic’ button does nothing. Am using a clean CBOX install. Thanks!

Ardibee
    Participant

@ardibee

Ah-ha. Not much help but I have noticed that the Labsecrets sequence _does_ work for new groups you create _after_ setting up the bbPress group forums but not for pre-existing groups, where the ‘new topic’ button does not seem to work…

Hopefully there will be a fix soon, or is this something that needs the ‘import from BuddyPress’ feature to tidy up & re-link the older groups?

Ardibee
    Participant

@ardibee

Won’t be able to try this till later on in the week, but maybe an old BP group forum fix highlighted by Sarah Gooding might do the trick?

http://wpmu.org/daily-tip-fix-for-buddypress-group-forums-error-when-creating-a-new-topic/

SydneyDesigner
    Participant

@sydneydesigner

There could be a fix coming via BP Group Organiser plugin.

SydneyDesigner
    Participant

@sydneydesigner

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Will be fixed in 2.2.3 and beyond.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar