Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Translate a BBPress Theme

• Hello,

I installed a BBPress Theme in my new forum.

I find the folder my-languages and translate the bbpress to Portuguese.

But how can i translate the the Theme terms to Portuguese? i don’t find any folder or any language reference to the theme i installed. I have the bbpress in Portuguese but the terms of the theme in English.

Can you tell me how can i edit a .mo file in a Mac? how can i decompile the .mo file?

Thank you

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Can you tell me how can i edit a .mo file in a Mac? how can i decompile the .mo file?

You can translate a template file only if the original author have included support for internationalization. If you find a .po file in the theme’s folder you can use it. If there isn’t such a file then you are forced to manually change the template files.

You must not touch them. The .mo (Machine Object) files are the “compiled” form of .po (Portable Object) files so you must not edit them but instead you must retrieve the source .po, translate it and create a .mo. On my UNIX-like machines (Mac and Debian) I use http://www.poedit.net/ which is a decent gettext editor.

Keep in mind that sometimes you will find a .pot (Portable Object Template) file instead of a .po. A .pot is a blank translation table in which no strings are translated but usually a translator take the english file and use it.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

You can translate a template file only if the original author have included support for internationalization. If you find a .po file in the theme’s folder you can use it. If there isn’t such a file then you are forced to manually change the template files.

You must not touch them. The .mo (Machine Object) files are the “compiled” form of .po (Portable Object) files so you must not edit them but instead you must retrieve the source .po, translate it and create a .mo. On my UNIX-like machines (Mac and Debian) I use http://www.poedit.net/ which is a decent gettext editor.

Keep in mind that sometimes you will find a .pot (Portable Object Template) file instead of a .po. A .pot is a blank translation table in which no strings are translated but usually a translator take the english file and use it.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar