Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Total Newbee – Not a programmer

• ROGUEWAVE

@roguewave

Is there a tutorial available? I would like to download the bbpress to a local machine & see how it works, not on a hosted platform. Is there a way to do this without making it public? Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

You can run it on a local windows machine by using xampp

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646

But if you have no technical experience at all, it might require some patience and learning.

ROGUEWAVE

@roguewave

Thanks. I installed WordPress 2.7.0 on the host, but it is not public. I want to add the bbpress there & develop on the hosted site, but still not public. Do I just follow the same install procedures as published here?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

If you are on a host with a menu based system like Cpanel or Plesk they usually have an option to password protect a directory. You can use that to protect your bbpress forum install (and wordpress) and that way it will be impossible to access for anyone except you.

There is a bbpress plugin that forces login to be required to see the forum so you could install that and even if anyone found it, they would only see a login.

roguewavenyc

@roguewavenyc

Got both WP & bbpress installed, each in a seperate folder. I didn’t integrate anything yet and left the WP pristine.. There was an option to integrate which I defered on. Can you start to design the bbpress & integrate with a fresh WP install and still keep everything hidden? I’m sorry to be so ignorant, but I am reading the materials online & still I’m in the dark. Any detailed tuorial that I can get my eyes onto would be fabulous.

ROGUEWAVE

@roguewave

I was able to password protect with login. Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar