Bottom

Topics not showing, routing to 404?

• lolataylor1
    Participant

@lolataylor1

WP version 5.7.2
    bbPress Version: 2.6.6
    Astra Theme Version: 3.4.2

I did a new install of bbPress on my existing site with the Astra LearnDash theme with no child theme. I followed the instructions on the step-by-step page (https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum/) to set up the forum and am using the shortcode [bbp-forum-index] to display the forum on my page.

When I navigate to a topic from the forum (i.e., Forum > Announcements > Test Topic Creation), it shows my 404 page instead of the topic. The same thing happens if I go into the topic from the admin panel and try to preview the page. I have tried to following from other topic support tickets with no success:

1. Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and clicked save. No change.
    2. Installed Health Check & Troubleshooting. Health Check was good.
    3. Entered troubleshooting mode and deactivated all but the bbPress plugin with the Twenty Twenty theme. Still no topics, but redirected to the home page instead of the 404.
    4. Installed bbPress WP Tweaks and tried all of the .php page settings with no change.

Is there something I’m missing? I’m at a loss of what else to try or why it may not be working.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

can you explain

Forum > Announcements > Test Topic Creation

the form is usually at the bottom of the forum listing, what are you selecting in ‘test topic creation’ ?

lolataylor1
    Participant

@lolataylor1

If you go to my website, this is the path I am taking on my website to get to the topic, which gives me the error.

https://authorready.com/forum
    From here, I click on the Announcement forum and see two topics: Test Topic Creation and Monthly Calls. When you click on either, it sends me to the 404 page.

lolataylor1
    Participant

@lolataylor1

I am not having a problem creating topics, the problem is that they cannot be viewed after they are created. Any time I try to view a topic, it directs me to the 404 page.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok so are you seeing these topics in

dashboard>topics ?

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

lolataylor1
    Participant

@lolataylor1

I already did these steps (please read the entirety my initial post) and I still cannot see the topics when I try to view them on my website. They are showing in my dashboard > topics, just not visible anywhere else. When I try to preview any topic page or navigate to it in the website, it sends me to the 404 page or, when in troubleshooting, it sends me to the home page.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry this is free help offered by volunteers – I try to read the posts but have limited time, and sometimes miss elements 🙂

so

what are the settings in

dashboard>settings>forums – forum root slug forum and forum single slugs – please list

is the ‘Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended)’ set ?

lolataylor1
    Participant

@lolataylor1

I’m very grateful for your volunteer work! I definitely couldn’t do this on my own. 🙂

I did not have the root slug turned on. The topics are now showing with it on, but I am using a custom landing page labeled forum (not forums) and would prefer not having the forums prefix in the URL. Is there a way to have the topics work with this setting turned off? If there isn’t, I’ll fix the design to work with it.

Robin W

@robin-w

my test site with just twentytwenty and bbpress works both with or without the prefix – I just make sure the landing page has the same permalink as the forum slug.

Every site is unique, so if that is not working for you, I’m not sure what to suggest next – sorry 🙁

lolataylor1
    Participant

@lolataylor1

I’ll keep playing around, but at least I have a working solution. Thank you for your help, Robin!

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar