Categories
Search
Bottom

Topics Not Showing on Forum

• jasnlee
    Participant

@jasnlee

Hello,

Our topics are no longer being listed on our forum except for sticky topics I believe.

Top blue box says “This forum contains 32 topics and 24 replies, and was last updated by…” but it then only lists 3 topics “Viewing 3 topics – 1 through 3 (of 3 total)”

WordPress: 4.7.1
    bbPress: 2.5.12
    Theme: Salutation by Parallelus v3.0.2

Please help. Thank you.

Viewing 13 replies - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)

• StormD
    Participant

@stormd

my site is deleted. I had bluehost absolutely wipe out WP and I started out adding bbpress and trying this again. I really haven’t yet added anything else back except for elementor. Am I misunderstanding thinking that [bbp-forum-index] should return a forum name and then have topics listed underneath and then the next forum and so on? If so, disregard and tell me I’m just silly please. Anyway, I threw something up and created a gyazo of what I think you might be wanting to see. But, if you need to get in there I can create some credentials for you if you want to message privately.

So, left to right. Topics…I created a couple in topics and one by going to the page and opening the forum. Next, the page created with just the shortcode. I didn’t even use elementor. Just straight to add new page and shortcode using the name in the root. The last one, I opened the site and used an incognito window to view the page.

As you can see, it’s like it’s calling up archives. Looking back, I didn’t mention that before. That was really dumb. It’s been doing that all along. After deactivating all plugins, this is what made me believe I actually needed to reinstall WP. Honestly, this index thing is not my actual issue. LOL maybe we can address that one later? But bc of the archives thing, I am afraid to move forward.

Hopefully, now that you have the whole story, you will recognize my error and be able to just say comment this code out with your child’s functions.php or add that to some other file or whatever. And all will be well 🙂

Thank you so much, Robin. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Storm

https://gyazo.com/ab8f8fd010ba5967cce876c547b971b4

Robin W

@robin-w

[bbp-forum-index] gives a list of forums, not topics. you then click on a forum to get that forums topics.

StormD
    Participant

@stormd

wow well that’s stupidly embarrassing. This is what I was expecting:

https://buddypress.org/wp-content/uploads/53/2013/11/forum1.jpg

taken from here:

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

Any advice on the archives heading?

Thanks again!

Robin W

@robin-w

that’s a category and forums underneath

StormD
    Participant

@stormd

I’m really not trying to argue, Robin. But, in both initial bbpress setup guides. That format is what is shown. Yet, neither say anything about categories or specify how to get that layout. In layouts and functionality, it does say how to style it.

Can you please tell me how to get to that? I did follow the step by step guide exactly and it returned what I have, not remotely what is pictured.

Also, I still have the archive question. I can’t find anything saying that should be there. I certainly haven’t asked it to be there.

Thanks again.

Robin W

@robin-w

I appreciate that generic words on setting up do not always cut it, but the guide is just that a guide, not intended to be definitive in all cases.

Given that I have neither a link to your current site or a real idea of what you are after, it is hard to help.

Maybe a link to your current site would help my unedrstanding

StormD
    Participant

@stormd

sure i can open it up.

Can we do that privately? I got some response in email attached to your response saying thanks for the information. But that post is not here.

StormD
    Participant

@stormd

at this point, I am using bsp shortcodes…some work as stated..some don’t..so I’m just at a loss

StormD
    Participant

@stormd

I’m sorry, Robin. I am really starting to freak a little. What I am after really has nothing to do with this. But for the moment, I am trying to make my forum index page…main page…first page look exactly like everyone else’s. I suppose I can just drop the archives concern and hopefully style that out with elementor. Though I am terribly confused as to why it is there.

So on the bsp page with all the numbers all over it. You have Welcome and breadcrumbs.
    Underneath, forums. Underneath, forum and category list (5 and 6). Then 7 is indented. What is that? Subforums? I’m search all of god’s creation and can’t find anything to tell me how to make one. I really don’t care if they’re forums or subforums or topics. I just want it to look that way.

Thanks, Robin

Home

I will open up the site. But again, nothing there besides one screwed up forums page.

StormD
    Participant

@stormd

Robin, I’m closing the site again to try to restore some of what was deleted.

I think I found a solution. I simply created another page and used elementor and bsp shortcodes. Whichs seem to work fine. The Archives piece has disappeared and I can style with your shortcodes 🙂

In the case of categories, having elementor settings post types checked for posts seems to take away any ability to do anything with categories. I suppose that could have been the case with the archives bit, as well. but that really doesn’t make sense sense WP was completely deleted, including elementor. Perhaps it’s in phpMyAdmin. idk.

Anyway, we’re all good here. Just one question. Do I now need to change the root slug?

Thank you!
    Storm

wbphelps
    Participant

@wbphelps

I am having the same problem as others have posted earlier.. Fresh install on a new site. Topics are not shown. Posts are not shown. Only the “Reply to” shows up.

wbphelps
    Participant

@wbphelps

Ah, I discovered that my problem was caused by the theme we have installed (The7) – now to deal with them to see if they will fix it.

Robin W

@robin-w

great – thanks for letting us know

Viewing 13 replies - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar