Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

topics not in forums

• RitaNow
    Participant

@ritanow

My site is basically crashed. I can now see the wp-admin. I had all the plugins turned off. I turned the bbpress plugins back on.

MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM

The site shows the forums but no topics in the forums. A forum will say there are XX topics and XX replies but the next line says “Oh bother! Not topics were found here!

MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM

In wp-admin, I can see all the topics listed but the forum column shows (no forum). So to me, it appears there is a database problem. I’ve been talking with the hosting company, Blue Host, and they can’t do anything. I’ve tried restoring the database and repairing the database, but to no avail. In other suggestions?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok.

What caused the site to ‘crash’?

RitaNow
    Participant

@ritanow

I was working on optimizing the site using a tutorial from http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-ultimate-quickstart-guide-to-speeding-up-your-wordpress-site–wp-23846

When I got to the part on using the plugin “WP-DBmanager”, I backed up the database. I then repaired it. When I did the optimize part, that’s when I got the 500 error. I called the hosting company and not sure what they did. Eventually, they did a database restore from a weekly file. The error logs from that restore showed lots of errors. When I finally got the site back, the final result was the topics were there with no forums.

Robin W

@robin-w

ow !

Hopefully the company have restored the database to back beyond your attempts to optimise it?

If so it should have no errors. So if it has, they probably need to go back to an older version if they have one – many hosters don’t.

Is it just forums entries that are missing???

if so you could try

dashboard>tools>forums>repair forums

and when you do get it going again, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t do stuff to a live site again.

1. a few hours invested in a test site

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

and you would not have lost your live site, and

2. REGULARLY back your main site (the above tells you how) and you could have just restored that – hosting companies rarely keep much, and an issue found after a week can be fatal !

Do come back for further help if needed.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar