Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Topic not showing: Conflict with The Events Calendar

• papyrusdoc
    Participant

@papyrusdoc

Recently my forum stopped showing Topics and only showed the Replies to the Topic. I ran all the troubleshooting tips (including the repair tools, resetting permalink, and checking all plugins and themes) and the culprit is the new 6.0 version of The Events Calendar.

Yes, I am contacting them as well, but I was hoping someone here might have a solution for why the topics would act as if display:none was applied to the tag.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

can you confirm you are on the latest version 6.0.3.1?

If so, looking at their support site, they seem to be having loads of issues with 6.x .

I’d suggest you revert your site back to an earlier version until the support forum becomes quieter.

Robin W

@robin-w

Just added 6.0.3.1 to my test site and I can see topics and replies

papyrusdoc
    Participant

@papyrusdoc

I reverted to the previous version of TEC and topics are now visible. I did have the most recent update. Thanks for the quick reply.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, did you log a support ticket with them?

papyrusdoc
    Participant

@papyrusdoc

They only support pro versions and this site isn’t using pro. But I noted on their forums that they are having lots of problems with custom posts. I will monitor the wp support forum for their free version.

fcaporal
    Participant

@fcaporal

I am having the same problem here. Broken in 6.0.4, 6.0.3.1, 6.0.2. Workes in 5.16.4

Robin W

@robin-w

Just tried 6.0.4 and I can see topics and replies

@fcaporal
    – can you confirm that you are seeing replies to a topic, but not the topic. And is this when you click through from a forum list?

fcaporal
    Participant

@fcaporal

@robin-w That is correct. I can see replies but not the topic.

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks – ok I’m not seeing this, so either it is a setting, or a combination of theme/plugins

maybe try
    Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and events calendar and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

fcaporal
    Participant

@fcaporal

My observations so far by testing on the Stage site.

1 – Deactivating The Calendar fixes the problem with the Forum
    2 – Downgrading The Calendar to 5.16.4 fixes the problem
    3 – Changing Themes to Twenty-Twenty-One has the same problem
    4 – Changing Themes to Roseta (we are using a child of Roseta) or Codex does not help
    5 – Changing Themes to Twenty-Twenty-Two or Twenty-Twenty-Three gives me blank pages on the forum (worse) even with all plugins deactivated.
    6 – Deactivating all plugins except bbPress and The Calendar gives me the same problem

We are running PHP 8.1 and WP 6.1.1

All this (except observation 5) points to a conflict between The Calendar and bbPress.

If you want, I could give you access to the staging site.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, just tried twenty twentyone php 8.1, wp 6.1.1 with bbpress and the events calendar, and topics show ok on my test site.

(by the way 5 will give blank pages, these are FSE themes and are a pain in the xxxx)

contact me via http://www.rewweb.co.uk/contact-me/ with access details

fcaporal
    Participant

@fcaporal

@robin-w I sent you a message.

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks, by comparing settings on my working site with yours, I found the culprit

In

Dashboard>events>settings>general you had ‘Include events in main blog loop’ ticked. No idea what this does, but unticking it seems to fix the issue.

If you need it ticked….

I reckon (but not certain) it is something to do with how event calendar is reacting with a WordPress function called WP_Query.

When listing a topic, bbpress sets the 2 custom post types ‘topic’ and ‘reply’ so that it can list the topic first and then fires WP_Query to get the list for the display. I think events calendar is catching that query and filtering for an event required process, the effect of which is to strip the ‘topic’, so only the replies get listed.

You can fix this by using this code

add_filter ('bbp_show_lead_topic', 'rew_true') ;

function rew_true () {
    	return true ;
    }

This does alter a bit how the topic page looks. I could build a topic display page to overcome this, but beyond free help I’m afraid.

papyrusdoc
    Participant

@papyrusdoc

Thank you, Robin, for finding a viable solution. I unchecked the blog option and it immediately worked as intended.

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂 great – glad you are fixed

fcaporal
    Participant

@fcaporal

Yes, this is working for me too… I could not see any side effect of the fix, what should I be looking for?

Thank you very much for your help.

Robin W

@robin-w

It just displays slighty differently, there is a fresh heading between after the topic and before the replies.

fcaporal
    Participant

@fcaporal

I have created a thread on the The Event Calendar support forum

Robin W

@robin-w

hey that’s great – looks like they might fix this – do report back if you get an update

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar