Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Tons of Depreciated Errors

• I always get this crap on top of all the bbPRess pages:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /*/*/*/forum/bb-settings.php on line 186

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /*/*/*/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.wp-object-cache.php on line 108

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /*/*/*/forum/bb-includes/backpress/pomo/mo.php on line 171

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /*/*/*/forum/bb-includes/functions.bb-l10n.php on line 484

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /*/*/*/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 581

I managed to get things going with a simple call to ob_start() in bb-load.php and used error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_DEPRECATED) to turn the warnings off, but it did not work. What’s the deal with this crap?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

bb-load.php line 25. Change

//error_reporting( E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE );

to

error_reporting( E_ALL ^ E_DEPRECATED ^ E_NOTICE);

Thanks that did solve it

yes, it works, thx too !

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This comes from using PHP 5.3 and having E_DEPRECATED turned on. WordPress and BuddyPress are equally bad about those notices, and eventually I’m sure some effort will be put in to prevent them. Right now the number of users on 5.3 is still one of the smaller audiences, so the urgency isn’t there yet.

Note: Those notices and that particular method of coding works fine in any other version of PHP. It will also still execute in 5.3, but will trigger errors if your server is configured to do so.

I may be wrong. I am just a curious user and not very technical as I am not a coder.

Here is what I did and finally all these steps together, worked.

First of all, let me make it clear, I would not try ANYTHING on a site that is online. So I try is on WAMP first. 101% of time this choice is clever choice as I get to see any potential glitches before hand.

I run WAMP on Windows 7

This is what I did, in order to get rid of those annoying errors.

1) Downgrade PHP to 5.2.11 (I could get that for WAMP)

2) As mentioned here, above, changed the bb-load.pbp line 25

3) I also changed(added) the above code to bb-config.php at the end.

Only then I was able to get rid of the errors. Hope this helps.

Cheers!!!

Well, the errors are gone, but now it saws the page isn’t found? I’m not sure where to go from here….

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar