Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

TinyMCE will not display on site

• AnnieBVT
    Participant

@anniebvt

I have been spending way too much time on trying to change the text editor for bbPress forums. Members should not be expected to know how to use html (which most don’t), and many will post text from other websites into a text box. I don’t understand, after so many updates to the bbPress core and so many questions in your Support forum about it, that this issue has not been resolved.

I added code recommended on the bbPress site in the child theme functions.php for my site, added TinyMCE Advanced, and searched for a checkbox in Forums Settings to enable a fancy editor. That checkbox is not in the list of options on my site. And all I see in the text editor for topic replies is the html buttons. Could someone please help us with fixing this issue. The plugin recommendations on this support forum are from many years ago, and those recommended plugins are out of date, no longer being updated, or cause problems for sites when installed.

I would really appreciate assistance. Thanks.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I don’t understand, after so many updates to the bbPress core and so many questions in your Support forum about it, that this issue has not been resolved.

free software with free support – sorry but that is the quick answer. The authors give up their free time to make this available, and they choose what is important.

So you expecting someone else to spend their time for free fixing what you perceive to be your issue, and then feel justified to complain that you have spent ‘way too much time’ doesn’t really cut it.

sorry, you chose the wrong day to start ranting at other people.

Robin W

@robin-w

now I’ve got that out of my system, try

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>Topic/Reply Form

AnnieBVT
    Participant

@anniebvt

I am not ranting. I am expressing frustration about a something that has been an issue for over seven years in the bbPress support forums.

Robin W

@robin-w

expressing frustration that someone doesn’t do something for free for you is kinda ranting 🙂

007elt
    Participant

@007elt

I have the same situation mentioned by Annie. I have just set up BBPress for a private forum for my volunteer community to deal with the Corona situation and was wondering about the editor. Our users would not feel comfortable with this editor and would probably complain to me about it;). I spent a lot of time searching the internet for answers and also only found older plugins so I was happy to find Annie’s recent post addressing this subject. It would be great if an editor like TinyMCE (that also allows you to upload media) was part of BBPress or if it could be activated by a click. The editor is available to use in other WordPress plugins so I too was a little confused not to find it in BBPress. In any case, it would be fantastic if it could be integrated. I certainly appreciate the efforts of the volunteers at BBPress who are generously volunteering their time and energy to work on all this stuff. Thank you.

Robin W

@robin-w

so did you try the style pack above ?

007elt
    Participant

@007elt

will do! Thanks.

mdeotti
    Participant

@mdeotti

Hi Annie,

I have the exact same problem and share the same frustration.

For an official WordPress Plugin that the main job is allow users to type text, the most basic thing would be to add a decent text editor for this purpose.

Anyway, the plugin above recommended is a mess, and don’t include the image upload option.

Try this instead:

Inline Image Upload for BBPress

007elt
    Participant

@007elt

@mdeotti – Thanks very much for the tip/link to Inline Image Upload for BBPress. Simple to set up and use! (this was more of what I was looking for)

AnnieBVT
    Participant

@anniebvt

Hi 007elt, After much searching and some testing I found a solution that converts the HTML version of the text editor into a basic TinyMCE editor. However, you must have FTP or cPanel access to the backend files in order to add code to your theme/child theme’s functions.php file. Otherwise a plugin is the only other resort, and I prefer not to load up on plugins.

If you have access, add these two code snippets. The first one will convert the text editor to a basic TinyMCE, and the second will strip out html code from content pasted into the text editor that was copied from another web page.

function bbp_enable_visual_editor( $args = array() ) {
    $args[‘tinymce’] = true;
    $args[‘quicktags’] = false;
    return $args;
    }
    add_filter( ‘bbp_after_get_the_content_parse_args’, ‘bbp_enable_visual_editor’ );

function bbp_tinymce_paste_plain_text( $plugins = array() ) {
    $plugins[] = ‘paste’;
    return $plugins;
    }
    add_filter( ‘bbp_get_tiny_mce_plugins’, ‘bbp_tinymce_paste_plain_text’ );

And, if you want to get rid of the word “Private” that displays in the title of a forum that is set to private, put this code in your child theme’s functions.php file also:

function remove_private_prefix_from_title( $title ) {
    return ‘%s’;
    }
    add_filter( ‘private_title_format’, ‘remove_private_prefix_from_title’ );

007elt
    Participant

@007elt

Hi Annie, Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to write!!! I am going to try this. I also am not keen on adding any more plugins..I have too many already as it is. I am not a developer and don’t write code so it is really great when someone shares information like this.
    All the best!

helensburgher
    Participant

@helensburgher

Harsh but fair…

007elt
    Participant

@007elt

@helensburgher not sure if you mean my post.? .I just wanted to express my appreciation
    .that’s all ..no intent to offend anyone down the line☮💚Thanks to all.

Juha Metsäkallas
    Participant

@juhametsakallas

I have had TinyMCE working, but something seems to have broken it. Unfortunately I don’t know after which update to which plugin this began. Neither the code by AnnieBVT nor the bbp style pack plugin helps.

Pointers to what to try next appreciated.

Lepalois
    Participant

@lepalois

It doesn’t work anymore.

WordPress: 5.7

So it’s always impossible to have TINY on BBPress

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Hi @lepalois

I am using 5.7 and I am using TinyMCE. It still has the version of TinyMCE as it did in 5.6.

Works fine in my forum.

Lepalois
    Participant

@lepalois

I’m using Inline Image Upload for bbPress, even the Pro version. It really enables TinyMCE, if set so.

Still TinyMCE was deactivated after updating to 5.7 because the Image Upload plugin was deactivated. This had happened before.

Whooda thought… 😉

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar