Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

taking over a private forum – new Super Admin

• coskel22
    Participant

@coskel22

I will be taking over Super Admin role on a forum that was originally part of a WP installation. The original site is going away, but the forum members want to continue on.

I will have the old database to import on a new server and new domain.
    There will not be a site attached, and the forum would like to stay private showing the login page to the public, and the forums to logged-in members.

Suggestions on how to do the installation/setup without screwing it up?

I have a dedicated box, do creating a dev environment to play in is not an issue.

Tried to search for an answer, but I think my topic is too custom for the search.

Thanks in advance

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok, lets work this through

You say you’re a superadmin – does this mean its a multi-site installation? they’re not my forte, but if this is just a single site then….

First of all bbpress is a plugin, so you’ll still need wordpress (and it holds the users), and since the existing theme has all the styling that you users are used to, then it would be sensible to use that as well.

So in effect what you need to do is just import a full copy of the installation, and then take out the pages and posts, and you have a forum without the rest of the site !

Since you have a test site, then follow the guidance in

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

and then just go into posts and pages to delete those (apart from the forum page), and amend the custom menu if you have one.

coskel22
    Participant

@coskel22

Hey Robin, thanks!
    Then that will be a piece if cake, since I have been using WP since vers 1. (fingers crossed)

Can I export the entire site from inside the backend as a superadmin? Or do I need phpMyAdmin to do it?

This is my first time with a forum, and I have been warned that nothing has been updated in a REALLY long time.

My biggest concern is the privacy – I am assuming that the forum settings are st to private?

How do you have a private forum on what was a very public website?

Robin W

@robin-w

Can I export the entire site from inside the backend as a superadmin? Or do I need phpMyAdmin to do it?

I’d use phpmyadmin, rather than wp import/export, as the you know you’ve got everything

This is my first time with a forum, and I have been warned that nothing has been updated in a REALLY long time.

what version of bbpress is it running?

My biggest concern is the privacy – I am assuming that the forum settings are set to private?

once you got it in, you cam make it private quite easily if it isn’t already. Private forums are hidden from you unless you are logged in.

coskel22
    Participant

@coskel22

Thanks for the help – the current owners decided to not migrate content, so I’ve done a completely clean install which is working beautifully.

Robin W

@robin-w

No problem – glad you’re fixed !

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar