Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Support and bbPress

• I just read this at the following URL, http://bbshowcase.org/forums/. I am not sure what it means or I may be behind the times. Can someone explain the status of bbPress to me and for those of us currently working with it.

” The bbPress Showcase has been discontinued.

The removal of Sam Bauers and the halting of bbpress.org 2.0

was a clear and final sign that there is no interest in allowing

bbPress to become a mature, robust program and community.

By now bbPress 1.5 could have been in alpha but instead

bbPress development has been deliberately stagnated,

which should be a very alarming warning to everyone.

In addition, bbShowcase had only six donations in 2009,

which indicated to me there was no interest in my work.

My code will remain on bbpress.org as open source GPL

for those that wish to use it, however I caution you to

consider bbPress’s lack of leadership before continuing to use it. “

Thanks and I appreciate the update.

Toni

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Michael
    Participant

@michael888

bbPress is planned to go ahead with version 1.1 soon.

Follow this thread for more info: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/whats-happening-with-bbpress

You can also have a look at the blog for updates.

Hi Michael, Thanks I will check out the link. I hate to spend a lot of time developing a forum that is not supported. That would be sad because I am a real big fan of WordPress.

Toni

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

It is supported, and will continue to grow. It will eventually become a canonical plugin for WordPress. :)

I also thought so at first, but I really love this software – so I’m sticking with it, no matter what. :)

Michael-

I just read the entire thread of what is happening with bbpress, I hope I did not open another can of worms. I am not as invested in bbpress as many people are, but what I see I like. I hope it does not die, but it does need a few more options to make it a user friendly forum especially for my audience that is not very technologically savvy. In fact most of my users call a forum a blog to give you an idea what they know or are aware of. I will keep my fingers crossed. You have done a lot for the community already.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

bbPress will actually be suited for your needs, as it’s simple enough for those who are not tech savvy.

Just as a shortened update (and someone else may correct me on this one, if I’m wrong):

bbPress 1.0.2 has full support by the community, and there are newly developed plugins for it. I can assure you that there are more than 30 plugins that work perfectly with 1.0.2 – and several are still being updated today.

Version 1.1 is planned as a standalone release, so far as I know. It will have a number of stability issues treated, as well as a number of new features; one being Email Subscription (which is live on this forum – see the top area of this post).

In my eyes, it’s very safe for you to go ahead and download 1.0.2. Plenty people are still downloading it today. As per usual (and as with every other well-known PHP package), bbPress does have an upgrade system. For future versions, there will probably be a migration system to move everything from the standalone forum to the plugin based one.

I hope you do stick around – there’s plenty more to come. Keep an eye on the blog – there are informative updates there. There is also an IRC meetup on Wednesday, for which the logs will be posted on the blog immediately after.

Take care

Michael

Is the IRC meetup tomorrow?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Yes, 2100 GMT on Wednesday:

meetup on IRC at 2100 GMT on Wednesdays

That’s 3:00 PM in Chicago. You can visit this site with a browser, no other software required:

http://webchat.freenode.net/

Now I hear that buddypress can be used on wp single. What does that do to bbpress?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

There was lots of discussion of BuddyPress at the first IRC meetup:

2009-12-09 Meetup

I don’t think anything is decided, but you can kind of see where things were taking shape there.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Yeah – not much has been decided upon yet, but, by the looks of things, we may see WordPress/BuddyPress/bbPress/ being a fully integrated package, where BuddyPress and bbPress stand as plugins for WordPress.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar