Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Suggestion: Bring BBPress to the level of vBulletin 3.6 (and make money)

• Guna
    Participant

@svar

Hello,

I’m looking for a forum software for my site, but none on the market seems to be satisfying!

It seems forum software has peaked with vBulletin 3.6, 12 or more years ago! How come nothing seems to beat a piece of software that is 12 years old?! Many of the top forums that use vBulletin 3.6 don’t want to upgrade, simply because there isn’t anything better, anywhere.
    (here is an example of typical vB 3.6 forum: http://paganforum.de)

My question/suggestion: Why can’t BBPress (or anyone else for that matter) match the design and functionalities and design of vBulletin of 12 years ago?

BBPress should do whatever it takes to reach that level, then we will be ready to pay!! There is a huge need out for a modern forum software! Plenty of people are stuck with their vB 3.6, simply because there isn’t anything better…

But from all the demos I have seen, the current BBPress interface looks and feels more like a Helpdesk support system than an actual forum…

Could someone please direct me to a version/skin/addon of BBPress that looks most similar to a vB 3.6 forum? Thank you!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• bobdebilder
    Participant

@bobdebilder

This is interesting, as I am running vb 3.6+ and I am looking to import into BBpress. Looking to go simple instead of all the bloat of vbulletin, even though I added a lot the old forum in design and ‘hacks’

lisabyrde
    Participant

@lisabyrde

Hello,

I’m looking for a forum software for my site, but none on the market seems to be satisfying!

It seems forum software has peaked with vBulletin 3.6, 12 or more years ago! How come nothing seems to beat a piece of software that is 12 years old?! Many of the top forums that use vBulletin 3.6 don’t want to upgrade, simply because there isn’t anything better, anywhere.
    (here is an example of typical vB 3.6 forum: https://onlineacademy.com/)

My question/suggestion: Why can’t BBPress (or anyone else for that matter) match the design and functionalities and design of vBulletin of 12 years ago?

BBPress should do whatever it takes to reach that level, then we will be ready to pay!! There is a huge need out for a modern forum software! Plenty of people are stuck with their vB 3.6, simply because there isn’t anything better…

I know this is an old thread but were you able to find something better than vBulletin 3.6? I’m looking to start a new forum myself and I found this thread while researching for the best forum software. Every other forum out there uses the same software and they all look the same. I want to build something that functions differently and looks better.

Let me know!

Kikis
    Participant

@temian

BbPress has over 300+ supported plug in with WordPress you can easily design your web site the way you like and making your forum unique I can tell you fact bbpress doesn’t have that’s full functionality but you can create your own custom plugins to work with it

bobdebilder
    Participant

@bobdebilder

Hi lisabyrde, I went with MYBB software, as I was able to import all my old forum data via their plugin into that software. I haven’t heard anything further about BBpress

good luck with your decision. I am an ardent user of wordpress and ideally would like to have stayed close to their structure

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar