Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Suffusion bbpress pack issues

• jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

So I have been running bbpress for the past month now. Today I had some free time and decided to try and make it look more appealing. So I searched for wordpress bbpress plugins and suffusion bbpress pack come up. I installed, activated, and went to its settings. So in the settings was the following:

(RE)BUILD BBPRESS FILES
    If you are starting out afresh with bbPress on Suffusion or Suffusion on bbPress, this is the first thing you should do. Since the default bbPress HTML markup is different from Suffusion’s markup, this step will help (re)create your templates. You should be using a child theme of Suffusion before you start using this theme. Otherwise if you update Suffusion from the WP themes repository you will lose all the bbPress-specific files.

Please note that all your template files will be written to /home4/kingdox1/public_html/demigodlegion/wp-content/themes/arcade-basic.

So I clicked “rebuild bbpress files” and looked at the forum to see the changes. Once I looked at the forum I noticed that all it did was expand the forum layout horizontally and removed the (right) sidebar. I need the sidebar so removed the suffusion bbpress pack plug in and now there is no forum whatsoever. If I re install the suffusion plugin, the forum reappears.

I tried doing a full restore through my hosting company to no avail. If there is a way that I could backup all of the topics and forums. Re install bbpress, then import topics and forums…. unless there is an easier way.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, so suffusion has added some specific files in your theme, which bbPress is now using NOT changed your forum entries.

So I think all you need to do is go into

to /home4/kingdox1/public_html/demigodlegion/wp-content/themes/arcade-basic and you should see a bbpress folder

ie
    /home4/kingdox1/public_html/demigodlegion/wp-content/themes/arcade-basic/bbpress

copy these files to your pc as a backup, and then just delete this folder. bbPress will revert to using the default ones, and you should be working.

Robin W

@robin-w

additionally or alternately you might see a bbpress.php file in there ie

/home4/kingdox1/public_html/demigodlegion/wp-content/themes/arcade-basic/bbpress.php

If so, again copy this to your pc, and then delete it on the server.

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

I deleted everything in there but it still shows nothing.

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

I even completely removed bbpress and re installed…. this is frustrating…

Robin W

@robin-w

hmmm… presume you’re not running any caching plugins?

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

not that I am aware of… nothing that I intentionally installed…

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

Do you mind taking a look haha?

Robin W

@robin-w

bit tied up at the moment, but have you referred it to suffusion, they should be able to give you removal instructions.

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

I did, but not much help.

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

Man, I tried just about anything that I can think of other than installing a new wordpress theme and starting from scratch… I ran across this by the way:

How to Use
    The plugin creates a new menu item, Appearance → Suffusion bbPress Pack. Once you click on that, you will see the capability to (Re)Build bbPress Files. If you click on this button, all your bbPress-specific templates will be regenerated. You can selectively pick specific folders that you want to overwrite.Note that this action is irreversible.

So what are my options?

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

Okay, I figured it out. I deleted all of the PHP files that had the phrase @package bbpress.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It sounds like this theme added bbPress specific templates to both the parent theme, and the child theme, both of which are overriding bbPress’s default template compatibility (because bbPress will yield to those overrides, which is how you can customize bbPress without needing to hack bbPress.)

Can be a bit confusing at first, especially since there’s no real indication of what is being loaded from where.

You could try installing the WordPress Debug Bar plugin, and then install the bbPress Debug Bar extension: https://wordpress.org/plugins/debug-bar-bbpress/

This will give you some information about what bbPress template is loading from where, but it’s still only providing a small window into a somewhat hidden experience.

Robin W

@robin-w

@jbdizzle

great, so you’re fixed ?

jbdizzle
    Participant

@jbdizzle

Yes I am. Thanks!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar