Bottom

Suddenly “can’t create new topics” in any forum

• lisabeavers
    Participant

@lisabeavers

Wordpress 5.8.1
    bbPress 2.2.6
    antiquebowieknifeassociation.com

Everything was working just fine, until over the weekend. Suddenly started getting an error saying “you do not have permission to start a new topic” for all users except admins. (Every member has participant role for forums)

Looked here and found a tip to remap my users, said that would fix the problem. Remapped users.

Message changed to “you cannot create new topics” for everyone except admin.

Where do I set the permission for all participants to be able to create new topics?

Thank you!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Looked here and found a tip to remap my users, said that would fix the problem. Remapped users.

so what was this tip?

lisabeavers
    Participant

@lisabeavers

There are some settings that will basically let you “refresh” certain aspects (# of topics, etc.) and one of them is “remap users”. I found it in another post where they had a similar problem but it didn’t solve my problem. Even as an admin, I cannot add a topic to a forum now, when before I was having no problem with it whatsoever. I have no idea how to fix it but my customer is screaming about not being able to post like they want to.

Robin W

@robin-w

‘There are some settings that will basically let you โ€œrefreshโ€ certain aspects’

ok no idea where that is and without a clear ‘click this, press that’ not really able to help on that aspect, and may well be an additional plugin which may be the cause.

so I’d suggest

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

lisabeavers
    Participant

@lisabeavers

I turned everything off and then started reactivating one at a time and checking. It was the ProfileGrid BBpress plugin making it so that we couldn’t add topics, so I just turned it off. Hopefully that solves it. Thank you SO MUCH for your help. I try to stick with very simple websites and this one has definitely wandered off that track. ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

๐Ÿ™‚ great, glad you are fixed

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar