Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Subscribe to new forum topics

• erwinodendaal
    Participant

@erwinodendaal

You can subscribe on a certain topic, so that you receive an email when someone replies in that discussion, but is it also possible that users receive an email when someone starts a new topic/discussion?

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Yes, but you need to install the New Topic Notification extension from @jaredatch: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-new-topic-notifications/

erwinodendaal
    Participant

@erwinodendaal

Thanks for the tip. I didn’t realize that there were this much of plugins available for bbPress. The one you mentioned is not that practical. I’ve found “bbPress Notify”. Not ideal either, but it saves me from having to add all users myself. It would be nicer if people could subscribe themselves to the notifications. But for now I’m happy.

You can subscribe by RSS to any bbPress install if that is of any help

https://bbpress.org/forums/feed/ & https://bbpress.org/topics/feed/

erwinodendaal
    Participant

@erwinodendaal

Yes, I know. But subscribers will then have to install an RSS-reader. And relatively few people even know what RSS is…

sulliwane2
    Participant

@sulliwane2

Hi,

I have the exact same problem/question as erwin.odendall !

I’d like to let my users subscribe to forums (as well as topics)…

kriskl
    Participant

@kriskl

I would like to bump this topic/request

It would be really cool if it was possible to subscribe to certain “forums” to receive notifications about new topics..
    we have say, 40 different forums, and users are generally following 3 or 4 at most.. as the others are not of their interest.. and it would help moderators also to be notified when spam messages appear.

RSS is rather old fashioned solution, and not many people use it, and even google is dropping google reader…

PrettyPixels
    Participant

@prettypixels

+1 for this. I’d be willing to make a donation to anyone would develop a plugin to let users subscribe to email notifications (of new topics) for specific forums.

This feature is planned for bbPress 2.5: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2299

sixf00t4
    Participant

@sixf00t4

I see the new functionality is in, but does it send emails? I subscribed to a forum and posted a new topic, but no email notice was sent. That was the original request, right?

palmdoc
    Participant

@palmdoc

Doesn’t work for me.

@sixf00t4 Yes, it should send an email just like the Topic subscriptions. Do those send emails for you?

@palmdoc
    Could you elaborate? Which part of it is not working for you?

artkahlich
    Participant

@artkahlich

I see the issue covered in ticket 2493 as clouding the issue here – it certainly did for me. You post a new topic or reply, don’t check the “Notify me…” check box at the bottom – because you are already subscribed – get unsubscribed because you didn’t check the box and get no email notifications from that point onward! I am using WordPress 3.8 with bbPress 2.5.2.

I would like a ”’Subscribe”’ link on the ”’Forums”’ page that gives me or any other registered forum user an email for both new topics and replies for any and all forum (including sub-forum) activity. Intuitive behavior for top level forum ”’Subscribe”’ is getting an email for ”’any”’ non-spam activity for that forum and all its sub-forums, if any. I deem anything else (ie, leaving out the sub-forums) as extremely counter-intuitive, even though some people may want that some of the time.

RSS is either unknown, too much trouble, or potentially going away for my forum users who want notifications. I would also greatly prefer these emails to be sourced ”’after”’ the “Bad Behavior” and “Akismet” plugins have deemed the posting to ”’not”’ be spam.

Right now I could hack something together for the top level, likely using the “bbpress email notifications” 0.3 plugin to generate email to a mailman distribution that my forum users could subscribe to. But it would be such an ugly hack and a nuisance to maintain. Setting it up so a spammer couldn’t do evil things with it would also be a pain.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2506 Add subscription to category or entire forum

glyndavidson
    Participant

@glyndavidson

Hi Guys.

Looking at the trac I can see that forum subscriptions has been implemented in bbpress 2.5:
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2299

…but I can’t see how to subscribe to a forum.

I have “Allow users to subscribe to forums and topics” enabled in the dashboard and am using bbpress 2.5.3

glyndavidson
    Participant

@glyndavidson

@mordauk: In the trac you posted a screenshot which shows a link to subscribe to forums. This links is at the top of the forums, in the header row. Can you tell me if this is where the link was positioned in the final release as I can’t find it in my installation?

bbPress 2.5.3
    WordPress 3.8.1
    twentyeleven theme.

Many thanks

Glyn

Boscol99
    Participant

@boscol99

I also have the subscribe to forums checked, but I cannot find where the button/link is being displayed. I am also curious if a user subscribes to a category, will they be notified of a new forum being created as well?

Circled in red with Twenty Eleven theme and ignore those awesome forum stats!

glyndavidson
    Participant

@glyndavidson

Thanks for taking the time to create a screenshot Stephen. Using the latest version of bbPress and TwentyEleven, I don’t have the Subscribe link.

Is it possible to provide an example of the <a href=""> tag so that I might hardcode it into a template?

Thanks again,

Glyn

glyndavidson
    Participant

@glyndavidson

…no matter, I found one on the bbPress forums:

<li class="forum-subscribe">
       <span id="subscription-toggle">
          <span id="subscribe-652">
              <a href="https://bbpress.org/forums/forum/requests-and-feedback/?action=bbp_subscribe&forum_id=652&_wpnonce=xxxxxxx" class="subscription-toggle" data-forum="652" rel="nofollow">Subscribe</a>
          </span>
       </span>
    </li>

I’ll have a play with this and see what I can come up with.

If you are using custom templates then adding <?php bbp_forum_subscription_link(); ?> should be all you need 🙂

Here is the original source depending on what templates you are using: /templates/default/bbpress/content-archive-forum.php#L26
    and/or
    /templates/default/bbpress/content-single-forum.php#L16

glyndavidson
    Participant

@glyndavidson

Doh! I already a child template named single-forum :S

Sorry for wasting your time,

Glyn

glyndavidson
    Participant

@glyndavidson

That’s great, saved me a bunch of time, thanks again Stephen.

mothy
    Participant

@mothy

Assistance required please.

I installed bbpress and created a forum and a sample topic.
    I made sure that this was set: “Allow users to subscribe to forums and topics”
    The “Subscribe” link was visible next to the forum & topic.
    I did a test and turned off “Allow users ….” and the link disappears (which is good).
    I clicked on the “Subscribe” link and it became an “Unsubscribe” link (which is good), but when new topics/replies were made no email notifications came through.
    I verified that WordPress is sending emails – so it’s not that.

What else do I need to do?
    Do I need to provide any further information about my setup?

I would appreciate a step by step tutorial of how to go about setting up what I describe above. I want users to be able to select which forums and topics they subscribe to.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar