Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Style Keeps Reverting

• Dragonfighter
    Participant

@dragonfighter

Finally after the second time of spending hours styling the forums on my site, I saved a copy of the CSS but I don’t have access as I write this. I replace the CSS and everything is good and then in a couple of weeks, the CSS is overwritten to defaults.

What can I do to keep from having this happen over and over again?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok, can you tell us exactly what the steps are for

I replace the CSS

eg, I goointo this, and click that, and press this, and then I hit the save button on the bottom right etc.

Robin W

@robin-w

and have you upgraded bbpress twice recently?

Dragonfighter
    Participant

@dragonfighter

The first time, I went step by step through the bbpress.css file and made my styling changes. The first time lasted about two-three weeks and an upgrade trashed the changes by overwriting the file with the default.

The second time I installed bbPress on my local development site, went through and made my changes. I then uploaded the file to the live server. To my knowledge it has not been upgraded but a couple of weeks in and the install reverts to it’s default. A quick scan of the bbpress.css shows none of the changes I made.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, you should not change the default bbpress.css as this gets trashed by upgrades

you should put the bbpress.css file into your theme, and preferably a child theme, as otherwise theme upgrades will delete it.

See
    functions-files-and-child-themes-explained

you could also use

https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/bbp-style-pack

which may well do all that you want, and isn’t lost when bbpress or themes are upgraded

Dragonfighter
    Participant

@dragonfighter

FWIW, I have uploaded the custom CSS file again and the forum appears as it should. But it would be great if we can come up with a way to keep it from being overwritten in the future. It’s a nasty surprise to check on a site and see all the changes undone. Thanks for your help.

Dragonfighter
    Participant

@dragonfighter

Placing the bbpress.css in my theme’s folder did not work. Everything (Forums, Sub-Forums, Topics, etc.) Displays as Unordered lists. I will look at the plugin.

Robin W

@robin-w

@dragonfighter

sorry the first should have been a link

Functions files and child themes – explained !

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar