Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Still looking for 4 (working) plugins

• Greets –

Well, I’ve now asked about these in two other bbPress forums (subsections of WP forums) and have gotten nowhere fast, so I thought I’d run them through the official forum again:

•Live Comment Preview — I could get it to put the ‘Preview’ button on the page, but otherwise it’s dead in its tracks. IE reported an “error on page” when used.

•Post Notification — Notifies Admin when someone posts in the forum. Dead.

•Subscribe To Topic — Puts the little checkbox on the page but doesn’t do the notification part.

•After The Deadline — Spell-checker, doesn’t work with BB Editor.

Someone said that part of the reason they haven’t been updated is because the authors are waiting for the new ‘plugin’ version of bbPress to be released. That’s great, except it doesn’t do any good in the meantime — for what could be a fairly simple tweak of the original code. Both “Post Notification” and “Subscribe To Topic” look like they’d fall under that heading. If we assumed they worked once, and all they’re not doing now is the notification part, you’d think that wouldn’t be very difficult to fix.

Someone else suggested I downgrade to bbPress v0.9, but (1) my heavily-tweaked theme wouldn’t load and (2) neither Zaerl Editor or BB Editor worked, so I canned the idea.

Any suggestions for replacements or fixes for the above?

Thanks,

Joe

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I’ve now asked about these in two other bbPress forums (subsections of WP forums)

I’d not waste my time there. The WP.org forums are really great for WordPress stuff (if you now the right terminology), but quite useless for bbPress.

Post Notification

Since I started using RSS (which most email clients and phone now handle nicely), I’ve never had a need for this.

It’s a fairly simple one to code though (with pitfalls), if there was a big enough need for it.

Subscribe To Topic

Yeah, that won’t work, and isn’t being worked on.

Matt annouced in December that it was going to be part of 1.1, but then ran away when people disagreed with him (can you believe a moderator actually asked him a question – sacrilege) and started telling people not to use bbpress while he was making KeyNote speeches at WordCamps.

It should be working in the trunk version of 1.1, which will be the last version of bbPress to be released.

After The Deadline

I typed “after the deadline bbpress” into google and this came up:

http://gaut.am/2010/06/after-the-deadline-v1-point-7-released/

Whether it will work with the plugin by a different author i’ve no idea. In honesty, IE7’s the only browser I have that doesn’t have a spell check built in natively, and its got it via an addon; so i’ve never really seen the need for this. Clearly others have though.

Someone said that part of the reason they haven’t been updated is because the authors are waiting for the new ‘plugin’ version of bbPress to be released

Sadly the WordPress (small p dangit) plugin will eradacate all code/plugins/themes/support from the current version. Nothing will be compatible.

A large part of why things aren’t updated is because bbPress looked like it was dying. The decision to rewrite a large chunk of code and go with BackPress made the majority of plugins not work overnight, and the initial thrust of 1.0 made it not worthwhile to upgrade them.

If we assumed they worked once, and all they’re not doing now is the notification part, you’d think that wouldn’t be very difficult to fix.

Awesome, i look forward to you coding them and releasing them. Thanks for offering Joe :)

KJG – Thanks for the excellent feedback. As for the spell-checker, that was the version I tried.

From a “reader response” point of view, the one people are most going to bitch about is the lack of a ‘preview’ feature, and that’s especially true with an editor that allows italics, blockquotes, links and pics. As a user, I’ll be screaming for one, too.

From an Admin point of view, I’d deem a ‘subscribe to topic’ feature the most important, simply because every half-decent forum in the galaxy has one and people expect it — not to mention how convenient it is for the readers.

“Awesome, i look forward to you coding them and releasing them. Thanks for offering Joe :)

Rats. I knew I should have added that disclaimer, “By the way, I’m not a programmer and COULD be speaking out of my butt.” Still, you’d think if ‘Subscribe To Topics’ once worked, and can still put the dang box on the page, it wouldn’t take much to figure out how to direct a quick message back to the poster. By the way, I’m not a programmer and COULD be speaking out of my butt. :)

Joe

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

From an Admin point of view, I’d deem a ‘subscribe to topic’ feature the most important, simply because every half-decent forum in the galaxy has one and people expect it — not to mention how convenient it is for the readers.

The bbPress trunk version has “subscribe to topics.”

Z – I presume you mean that “Subscribe to Favorites” RSS goofiness? Thanks, but it’d be better just to pay someone to get ‘Subscribe To Topics’ working and have the usual process available, an email with link. And somebody out there might have already fixed it, or have a working alternative.

Joe

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

The bbPress trunk version has “subscribe to topics.”

Z – You mean this stuff? Yes, I read through both long techie pages on its development a while back, although I’m not sure why you mention it now. It’s a shame they couldn’t develop it into a plugin since it works perfectly.

BTW, did you see my response in the ‘sticky topics’ thread? Pretty bizarre. (Could it be because I’m running WP 2.6.5?)

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

although I’m not sure why you mention it now

In response to:

I’d deem a ‘subscribe to topic’ feature the most important, simply because every half-decent forum in the galaxy has one and people expect it — not to mention how convenient it is for the readers.

It was only to say that bbPress trunk (unofficial version) have a subscribe to topics functionality. It’s a very important feature.

Unfortunately developers are in stasis right now cause the standalone version will die soon and the new plugin will break every plugin written at 99%.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar