Skip to:

Splitting Forum into Sections?

• WPDragon

Hi…Hopefully someone can help me figure this out…i am fairly new, so please bare with me. :)

I have researched this heavily & come across a few topics – yet there has been mixed opinions on a solution….I am trying to figure out how to create different Forum Sections to my site…a perfect example of this is: and

By default, it seems BBPress only allows you to create (1) forum index…but, how can I create another section to split up the forum into categories – such as in those examples above?

I noticed a Ticket for this feature was created 15 months ago…but unfortunately it keeps getting bumped & not included into BBPress….this is such a common & familiar feature in popular forums, I am surpised it is not already part of BBPress..

Any help & response would be greatly appreciated…Thank you!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

WPD – This is quite simple.

When you create a forum, on right hand side under forum attributes there is an option to make it a forum OR a category. Create it as a category, and then add forums to this category by making the forums and then making the parents of these the category forum you have just created.

Hi @robin-w, Thank you for that tip!…Yes, that brings me one step closer to what i am trying to do…I did not realize the “Category” option helped section the sub-forums…so, thank you for that…I assume the look & feel of how the forum is divided to look like the examples above is all CSS type stuff….which is another challenge for me. lol.

Did you ever figure this out. I have it set up the way Robin said and it doesn’t separate them. It lists the forums side by side under each category.

Hi @avgmatt — Well, the category is kindda what I had in mind, but still wish there was a built in way in bbpress to structure a forum more like phpBB or vbullentin.

However, if you want the Categories to not be side by side..and List them under the main forum..check this link out.

If you look at #1 – it gives you the exact line of code to put into your CSS to make it inline.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar