Categories
Search
Bottom

Social Networking: Link Problem

• Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Greetings

I seem to be having many problems with my forum, most of them being mine.

So here goes the next one:

I am in the process of creating an additional item on the topic page that lets the member share the topic on Facebook, Twitter, and the like. I do not wan’t to use SocialIt as it puts it on every post, which starts to look messy. I have a neat forum.

So, I opened topic.php in my template’s directory and found the place where I need to add the code to achieve this.

At first, I added this, which worked: (bb_current_page_url is my own function)

<li><?php printf(__('Share this topic on <a target="_blank" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=%1$s">Facebook</a>'), bb_current_page_url() ?></li>

Then I wanted to add a title as per Facebook’s Sharer specifications. This means that I must add &t=<the-title>, where I put the cutom title in <the-title>.

So I did this:

<li><?php printf(__('Share this topic on <a target="_blank" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=%1$s&t=%2$s">Facebook</a>'), bb_current_page_url(), topic_title()) ?></li>

and it returned this:

DataSets and DataTableAdaptersShare this topic on Facebook

<string>Note: If you hover your mouse over “Facebook”, you’ll see that the URL has been cut off – which is why the title appears before the entire printf() function.

It should return this:

Share this topic on Facebook

I’m obviously doing something wrong with printf(), but I doubt it as it’s literally a copy-paste from the other printf()’s on that page.

I also want to stick to printf() as I will have multiple sites to link to, and I do not want to keep repeating things. I just want to refer to %1$s and %2$s for each entry.

Could anyone help me get out of this mess?

Michael

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Michael
    Participant

@michael888

By the way – this is not actually a mess, it’s just a hassle. I could easily go without the titles as most social networking sites get the page title automatically.

It would just be nice to know where my problem lies so I don’t stumble into it again.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

Add get_ before topic_title.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Thanks! :) :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar