Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Social media Share button missing

• htown614
    Participant

@htown614

I am trying to add social media share buttons under the topics and replys. I can make it appear on the Pages by toggling the Sharing setting. Yes the share setting for topics and reply is enable and also the forum has show button checked.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• htown614
    Participant

@htown614

This is the built in Show Sharing buttons of word press not the LockerZ plugin. Is this a bug or is it meant not to work?

Geezerjim
    Participant

@actorjiml

Are you using Jetpack-Sharing? If so, just go to the configuration page and check the boxes for forums, topics, replies, or whatever you want. They are not checked by default, and will not be checked if you added bbPress after you activated Jetpack.

Geezerjim
    Participant

@actorjiml

I take that back. I see that even when it is checked it’s not showing. Let me dive into this a bit more.

htown614
    Participant

@htown614

Ahh. It is the jetpack Publicize plugin. Thanks for the help.

Geezerjim
    Participant

@actorjiml

Are you using any of the templates located in the “extras” folder. If so, I figured out a way to add the buttons. Exactly where do you want them. On individual topics?

htown614
    Participant

@htown614

At the bottom of each topics.

Jeff Hester
    Participant

@bigblueball

I’m having this same problem. I’ve tried using Jetpack share icons on a fresh install of WP with bbPress (no other plugins) and the Twenty Twelve theme, and they won’t show up. I check the boxes for Forums, Topics and Replies under Settings > Sharing, but no luck.

Jim, you said you figured out a workaround, can you elaborate? I’d like to include them on Forums and Topics (but probably not replies).

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This won’t work out of the box, and is by design. Jetpack hooks sharing options to the end of the ‘the_content’ filter. bbPress doesn’t use this filter, because blog content doesn’t have the same rules as forum content does; they work differently. To make it work, Jetpack’s sharing options would need to hook into `bbp_get_topic_content` and `bbp_get_reply_content` instead.

Someone could write a piggyback function to do this, but it may be more difficult than this first step once you’ve gotten this far. Replies don’t use the same “premalink” logic as topics, forums, pages, and posts do, since they are technically children of topics. There could be other quirks, too.

Jeff Hester
    Participant

@bigblueball

Thanks, JJJ.

Given that the Forums, Topics and Replies checkboxes under Settings > Sharing don’t show up until you install bbPress, it’s understandable that I thought it should work.

I really don’t want sharing buttons under each reply — the Topic and Forum level would be sufficient. I’ll keep digging and see what I can sort out.

nikhilrj
    Participant

@nikhilrj

I am also having the same issue – any one figure out a fix for it yet? I tried with other plugins too but unable to display social sharing icons for forum topics

AITpro
    Participant

@aitpro

We were looking for a plugin that already did this and did not find what we wanted so we created this simple solution here: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/buddypress-bbpress-social-media-share-button-code/

This is lightweight HTML code outgoing Share links to keep website resource usage very low since the Social Media buttons are being loaded per Reply.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar