Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Showing more tags on Heatmap.

• I have <?php bb_tag_heat_map( 9, 38, ‘pt’, 80 ); ?> in my tag.php file. Still I can only see 40 tags max in the heat map. Am I supposed to change “80” somewhere else too? Maybe in the function? Where do I find the function below? Got it from another topic.

Thanks.

function bb_tag_heat_map( $args = ” ) {

$defaults = array( ‘smallest’ => 8, ‘largest’ => 22, ‘unit’ => ‘pt’, ‘limit’ => 45, ‘format’ => ‘flat’ );

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I’m wondering how you know exactly how many tags you have? Maybe it just seems like you have 80?

Or, is there a CSS overflow property that is blocking the display of more tags? Do you see tags all the way from A to Z (or whatever letter your last tag begins with.)

Not sure if we are on the same page. I am referring to the tags displayed in the box on the right which I think is also called a heat map? I counted them and see 40 of them to be precise. How do I show more or less? The link is http://www.invictatrader.com/bbpress to see what I am trying to convey.

Thank you.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

We’re talking about the same thing. Looks like your heatmap goes from a tag beginning with b to one beginning with w so my guess is that the display is not being hidden in some way by CSS.

So, I am just wondering how you, or anyone,would know exactly how many tags are in use on a forum, that’s all.

You need to modify front-page.php NOT tags.php. tags.php creates this:

http://invictatrader.com/bbpress/tags/

Looks like there are more tags there, maybe 55 or something like that.

bbPress functions don’t take arguments the same way as normal PHP functions. You pass arguments as an array.

i.e.

bb_tag_heat_map( array( 'smallest' => 9, 'largest' => 38, 'limit' => 80 ) );

That is it. In this link http://invictatrader.com/bbpress/tags/ you see there a total of 54 tags so far on the big test box on the left. On the right only a maximum of 40 are displayed. How do I change the number of tags to be shown in the box on the right? Like say just 20 or 30 or even 50 if need arises.

Thank you.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think I already mentioned how:

You need to modify front-page.php, not tags.php. Try using Kawauso’s method.

Thanks. I did not see that code in the theme’s front-page.php file. Should I add the code below anywhere in the front-page.php file just the way shown below?

Thanks.

bb_tag_heat_map( array( ‘smallest’ => 9, ‘largest’ => 38, ‘limit’ => 80 ) );

Why is it there are still only a max of 40 tags shown in the heat map box on the right even though <?php bb_tag_heat_map( 9, 38, ‘pt’, 80 ); ?> is the setting in the tags.php file?

Thanks.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I have this near the top of my front-page.php:

<p class="frontpageheatmap"><?php bb_tag_heat_map(); ?></p>

That’s where you would make the modification.

front-page.php does not use tags.php. Those two different php files do two different things. tags.php displays this: http://invictatrader.com/bbpress/tags/

front-page.php displays the front page of your forum:

http://invictatrader.com/bbpress/

And the tags are just a small part of the front page, provided by the function bb_tag_heat_map();, called with whatever parameters you want.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The 80 you have set in tags.php is completely unrelated to how the tags are being displayed in front-page.php. You can change tags.php and watch the effect on this page:

http://invictatrader.com/bbpress/tags/

If you noticed, the same function is being called in both files.

I did not even see the code in my front-page.php file of the theme. Below is the code. Can I try to add it to it to play around with the heat map?

Thanks.

?php bb_get_header(); ?>

<?php if($forums) : ?>

<?php if($topics || $super_stickies) : ?>

<div class="breadcrumb section">
    <h2 class="section-header"><?php _e('Latest Discussions','rag'); ?></h2>
    </div>

<table id="latest">
    <tr>
    <th class="topic"><?php _e('Topic','rag'); ?> — <?php new_topic(); ?></th>
    <th class="posts"><?php _e('Posts','rag'); ?></th>
    <th class="last-poster"><?php _e('Last Poster','rag'); ?></th>
    <th class="freshness"><?php _e('Freshness','rag'); ?></th>
    </tr>

<?php if($super_stickies) : foreach ($super_stickies as $topic) : ?>

<tr<?php topic_class(); ?>>
    <td><?php bb_topic_labels(); ?> <big><a href="<?php topic_link(); ?>"><?php topic_title(); ?></a></big></td>
    <td><?php topic_posts(); ?></td>
    <td><?php topic_last_poster(); ?></td>
    <td><a href="<?php echo str_replace("&", '&', get_topic_last_post_link()); ?>"><?php topic_time(); ?></a></td>
    </tr>

<?php endforeach; endif;?>

<?php if($topics) : foreach($topics as $topic) : ?>

<tr<?php topic_class(); ?>>
    <td><?php bb_topic_labels(); ?> <a href="<?php topic_link(); ?>"><?php topic_title(); ?></a></td>
    <td><?php topic_posts(); ?></td>
    <td><?php topic_last_poster(); ?></td>
    <td><a href="<?php echo str_replace("&", '&', get_topic_last_post_link()); ?>"><?php topic_time(); ?></a></td>
    </tr>

<?php endforeach; endif; ?>

</table>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php if(bb_forums()) : ?>

<div class="breadcrumb section">
    <h2 class="section-header"><?php _e('Forums','rag'); ?></h2>
    </div>

<table id="forumlist">

<tr>
    <th><?php _e('Forum','rag'); ?></th>
    <th><?php _e('Topics','rag'); ?></th>
    <th><?php _e('Posts','rag'); ?></th>
    </tr>

<?php while(bb_forum()) : ?>

<tr<?php bb_forum_class(); ?>>
    <td><?php bb_forum_pad('<div class="nest">'); ?><a href="<?php forum_link(); ?>"><?php forum_name(); ?></a><?php forum_description(); ?><?php bb_forum_pad('</div>'); ?></td>
    <td><?php forum_topics(); ?></td>
    <td><?php forum_posts(); ?></td>
    </tr>

<?php endwhile; ?>

</table>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php else : ?>

<?php post_form(); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php bb_get_footer(); ?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Something in one of your files is creating that tag heat map. Maybe in your theme it’s not included in front-page.php. Look through your other files for calls to that bb_tag_heat_map function. Looking at that theme, it looks like it has a sidebar. So, is the call to that function in sidebar.php?

I found it. It was in the sidebar.php file. What do I need to change in the code below to control the number of tags shown in the heat map?

Thank you.

<div id="sidebar" class="right">

<div class="menu">
    <?php
    login_form();
    if(is_bb_profile()) profile_menu();
    ?>
    </div>

<div class="menu">
    <h2 class="section-header"><?php _e('Tags','rag'); ?></h2>
    <p class="frontpageheatmap" style="text-align: center;"><?php bb_tag_heat_map(); ?></p>
    </div>

<?php if(bb_is_user_logged_in()) : ?>
    <div class="menu">

<h2 class="section-header"><?php _e('Views','rag'); ?></h2>

<ul id="views">
    <?php foreach(bb_get_views() as $the_view => $title) : ?>
    <li class="view"><a href="<?php view_link($the_view); ?>"><?php view_name($the_view); ?></a></li>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
    </ul>

</div>
    <?php endif; ?>

</div>

So am I replacing this line in the code above

<p class="frontpageheatmap" style="text-align: center;"><?php bb_tag_heat_map(); ?></p>

with this line below?

<p class="frontpageheatmap" style="text-align: center;"><?php bb_tag_heat_map(array( 'smallest' => 9, 'largest' => 38, 'limit' => 80) ); ?></p>

Thank you.

Without the above code where is it getting the 40 from? That is still a mystery to me if it is not called for from anywhere.

Thanks.

bbPress functions have a set of default values that are overwritten by the arguments passed when it’s called, so if a value isn’t specified for something, it stays with the default.

Where is the default of “40” seen?

In the first line of function bb_tag_heat_map:

$defaults = array( ‘smallest’ => 8, ‘largest’ => 22, ‘unit’ => ‘pt’, ‘limit’ => 40, ‘format’ => ‘flat’ );`

Line 3158 of functions.bb-template.php in my slightly outdated SVN of 1.0.2

Also is what I would do below be correct?

<p class=”frontpageheatmap” style=”text-align: center;”><?php bb_tag_heat_map(); ?></p>

with this line below?

<p class=”frontpageheatmap” style=”text-align: center;”><?php bb_tag_heat_map(array( ‘smallest’ => 9, ‘largest’ => 38, ‘limit’ => 80) ); ?></p>

Thank you.

I did find it and it is set at “45” and there is another similar code set to “40”. That is the one it is using. I changed it to 45 and it is showing 45 now. Thanks once again.

Thanks.

You changed the defaults, instead of just using different parameters when you call the function? Editing core files is really bad practice…

Yes. Just wanted to see for myself. Will change it back to 40 as I did not know what is below before.

Also is what I would do below be correct?

<p class=”frontpageheatmap” style=”text-align: center;”><?php bb_tag_heat_map(); ?></p>

with this line below?

<p class=”frontpageheatmap” style=”text-align: center;”><?php bb_tag_heat_map(array( ‘smallest’ => 9, ‘largest’ => 38, ‘limit’ => 80) ); ?></p>

Thank you.

Yep, pretty much. Don’t be afraid to just give it a try and see what happens, it’s how you learn with these things :)

Thanks. Do not want to mess things up too much either.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar