Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Shortcode vs forums url

• connielk
    Participant

@connielk

I am having an issue displaying the forums on the standard url that bbpress uses.

See this page:

redhorsecrm.com/forums

This is the page I’m told to use by bbPress as to where the forums should display correctly. It does not look correct at all.

Then see this page:

redhorsecrm.com/forum

This page is one that I created and put a shortcode on to display the forums. It looks correct.

I don’t mind using the shortcode, since it displays the forum correctly. However, the breadcrumb points to the page that does not display correctly. So if a user uses the breadcrumb, they will be lost.

I understand this may be a theme issue, but this is a pretty standard theme Customizr and it “should” be compatible. Yes, I did ask Customizr but they didn’t have a clue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• channelwiki
    Participant

@channelwiki

Same issue. My URL: channelwiki.org/forums

Have you set your forum slug to that of the page you created?

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

I tried that and it broke the page I was using the shortcode on. Then nothing worked.

Is this a page or a post? redhorsecrm.com/forums

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

That’s the Forum Root Slug. As set under Settings, Forums.

Forum Root Slug

Customize your Forums root. Partner with a WordPress Page and use Shortcodes for more flexibility.
    Forum Root=forums
    Forum Prefix=Checked Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended)
    Forum root should show=Forum Index

The page with the shortcode is:
    redhorsecrm.com/forum

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

Notice that when you use the search function, it also sends the user to the unusable page at forums.

neotrikz
    Participant

@neotrikz

Your blog’s theme does not have support for bbpress, the same happened with me.

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

So now what do I do. The entire rest of the site is ready. The forum is imported. What do I do???

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

I removed the page with the shortcode, since the links in it to users and search send it to the slug that doesn’t work. It has just confused everyone. So what you see in the menu now goes directly to the slug that doesn’t work.

neotrikz
    Participant

@neotrikz

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

Do you mind posting again? I don’t see a link to a tutorial.

In the mean time I found a post about Theme support. It helped somewhat. The page is too wide and I want to remove the sitemap. I can probably find that in the php. And Search still doesn’t work. Not sure how to fix that. Any pointers there?

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

As per the theme support page, I went to bbpress\templates\default\ and copied the bbpress and css folders into my theme folder. I also copied archive-forum.php and single-user.php in to the theme folder.

I made a few modifications to archive-forum.php and single-user.php to fit into the page and remove the sidebar.

Seems like most functions are working now except Search. It still goes to a wonky page. Where do I go to look to fix that?

neotrikz
    Participant

@neotrikz

Follow this link for the tutorial :http://technotip.org/bbpressplugin-theme-compatibility/

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

That’s a great tutorial. And close to what I did yesterday, just without the child theme. I used this: https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/

However this had no effect on the search page and I can’t find what page to edit.

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

It’s as if there is a php file missing in pugins\bbpress\templates\default\extras that displays the search results. Where can I find that?

connielk
    Participant

@connielk

I was right. There was a file missing.

I took archive-forum.php and renamed it search-forum.php. Then I changed this line:

<?php bbp_get_template_part( 'content', 'archive-forum' ); ?>

to this:

<?php bbp_get_template_part( 'content', 'search' ); ?>

Then I copied it into my theme folder. And voila. Search now works.

I get the gold start today.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar